Would a skillful technician prevents or lessen the painful aftermath of Cool Sculpture procedure?

Cool Sculpting recovery

It has more to do with selection of patients rather than technician.  We examine patients and determine their ability to have the procedure.

Would technician prevent or lessen any pain after CoolSculpting?

Some patients have no pain or discomfort after CoolSculpting.  Other patients may have some discomfort or pain after the procedure.  The individual performing the procedure should not have any influence on whether there is discomfort or pain after the treatment.  Any discomfort or pain just varies by the individual patient. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after coolsculpting

coolsculpting induces programmed cell death by selectively freezing fat cells. Most patients do not complain of pain but it is a variable experience. It does not appear to be technician dependent.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skillfull technician and pain connection.

Hi Iwantanewme,
The CoolSculpting experience all depends on how you as a patient handle the treatment. There is nothing technical that can be done differently to lessen the discomfort that comes along with the treatment. It is however, the technician's responsiblity to make sure that the patient is as comfortable as possible through out the treatment. This may be anything from providing lots of pillows or boppy pillows to create a "cocoon" of comfort and offer water or a snack to keep blood sugar level stable and take your mind else where. We have found a movie set-up is a great way to make the experience much more enjoyable and help the time pass. Best of Luck, "Dr. Joe".

Skillful technician

Patient selection is key. Patients tell me that I am more hands on with the examination process, consultation process, marking process, and the treatment process than some other centers. Technique can improve the results, but not necessarily the side effects.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Technician skill level and CoolSculpting results.

What we have found is that the importance of having a skilled technician delivering CoolSculpting treatments is paramount to patient success. Less because the treatment requires a ton of input from the technician but because the providers judgement is paramount to selecting the proper patients for the procedure and the proper applicators to create a nice and smooth result.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

CoolSculpt Aftermath

The person providing the CoolSculpt procedure has little to do with the side effects that can happen afterwards. It is the responsibility of the person providing the treatment to educate you about what some people experience and possible immediate post procedural effects. Many people following CoolSculpting have pain, cramping, numbness, swelling, mild discomfort, point tenderness, and other things immediately following the procedure. In most all cases, none of theses things are permanent and reside in 2 weeks or less. The discomfort felt after CoolSculpting though not uncommon, it is mild and should not prevent someone from participating the activities or daily living or exercise. It can be hard to predict who will react and how they will react, but understand it is not the practitioner. It is usually just the way you, as an individual sense the treatment. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Technique

The recovery varies quite a bit from patient to patient.  It doesn't seem to change much with the technique of using the Coolsculpting machine, or who applies the handpiece.

The key factor for results is positioning the handpiece so that a good "tissue draw" is obtained - with a fold of fatty tissue being drawn into the suction handpiece.

Pain after Coolsculpting is exceedingly rare

Hi there-

I can only speak about the experiences of our own patients- but would tell you that pain after Coolsculpting is very rare, and we have only see it when one particular hand piece is used in a very particular part of the body. Even in those cases where some pain DID occur, it has been moderate at worst and usually abated after 48 hours or so. The patients involved would tell you the improvement they achieved after the procedure was definitely worth it.

With regard to the "technician" aspect of your question- I do not believe that who performs the procedure on you would significantly affect whether or not you experience pain- but I do believe strongly that the person performing the procedure can significantly affect your outcome (appearance), so you are right to ask questions about who does Coolsculpting on you.

Post-treatment discomfort...

Majority of the patients treated in our office reported minimal to no pain after Coolsculpting. A few patients who did report discomfort, varied from each other in lifestyle, body contour, and weight. All of the treatments were administered by the same technician. It is difficult to determine who will experience discomfort post-treatment and who will not.The discomfort afterwards is more dependent on the patient rather than the technician.

I recommend scheduling a consultation with your local Coolsculpting specialist to find out more information about the procedure.

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS