Can a breast augmentation also move my breasts closer together? (Photo)

I would like to have a BA and also have them moved closer together because mine kind of flare out a tad bit to the sides. Is this an additional procedure or is it involved in a regular BA? Thanks...

Closing the gap between breasts

In the performance of a breast augmentation it is very important to center the implant directly behind the nipple. If the implants are placed more medial to the nipple in order to close the gap between the 2 breasts the nipples will appear to far to the outside. By enlarging the breasts there will be some narrowing of the gap. More narrowing can be achieved by selecting a wider based implant.Your surgeon can take the appropriate measurements of your breasts and help decide what implant will best help you achieve your postoperative goals. Good luck

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant size and shape

Choosing the right size implant and shape implant can go a long wait towards changing the appearance of your breasts.  However, "cleavage" is really dictated by your anatomy since the implant must be centered behind your nipple. So, schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options, but also be realistic about your expectations. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Moving breasts closer together with breast augmentation

The short answer to your question is no. Cosmetic breast augmentation is done by placing a pillow of volume behind the base of your breast and doesn't do anything to the basic characteristics of the breast beyond making them look bigger and more filled out. The effect of breasts looking closer together can be achieved by filling out the medial border and increasing the depth of the cleavage, but the breast is not actually moved. Another way to simulate breasts looking closer together is to place the implant too medial relative to the true medial border of the breast. This risks distortion, visible implants, excess release of the pectoralis muscle, symmastia (breast look connected), and the need for revision. 
Fortunately your breasts are merely off-axis rather than being far apart. They should fill out nicely and look closer together with the steeper cleavage slope. The axis of the breast (direction it points) is not actually changed, but filling out the lateral side will make them look better centered. I would advise that the sound implant diameter be no wider than the true base width of the breast, that it is positioned properly behind the base of the breast, that the implant is below the pec muscle and it is dual-plane released out of the lower pole of the breast, and that a medium profile implant is used, not a high profile. This will give you a natural looking result with the breasts looking rounder and better centered although they will not actually be moved. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Boulder Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and cleavage

Your preoperative anatomy is quite nice for an excellent result.  You have good overlap of the inner breast tissue onto the breast bone or sternum and this is a great measure of how they will space. These concerns of yours and the options that are available to get you what you want should be clearly spelled out for you at your consultation. Ask of your doctor to review photos and make yourself comfortable with his or her results. Best of Luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Can a breast augmentation also move my breasts closer together?

Thank you for the question and photos. This all depends on many factors, type of implants, your body anatomy, and the way your breasts pockets are made. As I stress with most patients, the choosing of implants is very crucial and is one that should be done through an in-person exam. Various aspects that could affect and could achieve the desired end results are, type of implants, breast tissues, body measurements, and etc.
It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Moving your breasts closer together

Breast Implants definitely improve cleavage - but to what degree is the tricky part. The question is straightforward but the answer is not. It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon especially when it comes to cleavage issues. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below:

Can a breast augmentation also move my breasts closer together

Your breasts will not move closer together after a breast augmentation, but depending on the type of implant and the way that the pockets are made, the implants can be placed to give you more cleavage thus giving you a look that your breasts are closer together.  Consult with a specialist in your area to go over your options and what you are looking for.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Improvement is Possible

Good question!

At present, your breasts droop somewhat and hang to the sides. With a limited uplift involving only a circular scar about the areola, your nipples can be lifted up, correcting the drooping, and moving the nipples closer together. As you do this, the breasts are going to follow. In addition, by making the breasts larger with implants, they will also tend to appear to be closer together.

Your breasts won't be as close together as in the photo of your desired result, but they should be closer than you are now. 

George Sanders, MD

Can I improve my cleavage with breast augmentation?

The medial part of the breasts (cleavage) can be somewhat improved in terms of depth and definition with breast augmentation, but the actual closeness of one breast to the other can only be changed to a limited degree with breast augmentation. This is easier to explain in person in the course of a physical exam. I would recommend a formal consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

In general, it is best to not violate anatomic boundaries as this can lead to lateralization of the areolae or double bubble or symmastia.

Beverly Hills, CA