Looking to have a filler done around smoker's lines and under my eyes. Would Bolotero or Juvederm 3 be best?

I am hoping to have a filler done in the fine lines around my mouth (smoker's lines) and under my eyes. I have gotten differing opinions on the best filler to use. A cosmetic surgeon I went to said Juvederm 3 while an aesthetic doc suggested bolotero. Please help, I am confused???

Filler Choice

If you are choosing between these two fillers I would recommend Belotero to replace volume under the eyes. Juvederm can have persistent swelling under the eyes. For the smoker's lines, Belotero does a nice job of treating the fine, superficial lines. If you have deeper lines around the mouth you could use the Juvederm deeper and layer Belotero over it to which works well. They are both good fillers. When they are used properly and in the right location patients get very nice results. Best wishes.

Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler For Lip Lines and Under Eyes

You have several options for smoker's lines around your mouth. Small dilute doses of Botox can be very effective as can fillers like Belotero. For extensive lip lines, dermabrasion or other resurfacing techniques are likely to give you a more dramatic result. 

Most people would tell you to use Belotero or Restylane under the eyes because they are less hydrophilic (act less like a sponge) than Juvederm. The unique anatomy of your cheeks and lower eyelids will dictate which filler or combination of fillers will give you the best result in this area. Training, experience, and skill trump everything else, so do your research before settling on a doctor to treat you.

Steven M. Daines, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler option for under eyes and around the mouth

Belotero is a softer hyaluronic acid gel filler compared to Juvederm and it would be better for fine wrinkles around the mouth (since it can be injected more superficial) and under eyes (since eyelid skin very thin).

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Best Filler for smoker's lines and under the eyes

Even though both Belotero and Juvederm are hyaluronic acid fillers, my choice to address both areas would be Belotero for the following reasons.  Around the mouth, Belotero can be used very superficially to fill in fine lines without the fear of causing a Tyndall effect ( a bluish discoloration that can be visible after shallow placement of some hyaluronic acid fillers).  In fact, Belotero was specifically designed for very shallow placement to address very fine lines; these are frequently present around the eyes and around the mouth.

For the tear trough area, Belotero is a good choice because it typically does not cause massive swelling.  In addition, this filler can be placed both deeply and superficially, again, without the fear of causing a Tyndall.

Good luck.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

Belotero or Juvederm

Hi Darlin. Treatment with Belotero vs. Juvederm for the smoker's lines and tear troughs (under the eyes) depends on the depth of your wrinkles and the amount of volume loss in each area. This can only be determined through an in-person consultation. So, it would be hard to say which one is better for you without seeing you first. I use both products depending on the situation. If the loss of volume is not severe and the smokers lines are not too deep then Belotero is an excellent choice. For deeper lines and folds Juvederm would be better. Most important is the skill of the injector as these areas (especially underneath the eyes) take a lot of skill and experience to give you the best results. Hope this helps!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Belotero

Both Juvederm and Belotero are hyaluronic acids (HAs).  I use both, but prefer Belotero for both the applications you are asking about, especially around the eyes.  Juvederm has a habit of absorbing more water and can give you a puffy look around the eyes if the correction was initially right on.  Belotero is also smoother (low G prime) and in my opinion is superior for fine lines and areas where you want to inject very close to the surface.  Restylane (another HA) is also a very good product that many injectors use for the applications you are asking about.  I still prefer Belotero, but Restylane is a close second.  I use Juvederm Ultra XC when volumizing the lips, but Belotero for the fine "smoker" lines that radiate away from the vermillion border.  Honestly though, you would be better off going to the better injector regardless of the product.  An expert injector using either product will give you a better result than a novice or "squirter" using the best product.

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have been using a diluted amount of Botox for years and it works very well for the vertical lip lines!  

Smokers Lines and Best Treatment

Honestly the best treatment for these types of lines is laser, typically ablative fractional, but non ablative can do wonders as well.  I do this first and then inject filler into the remaining lines.  If you are unwilling to have any downtime, filler and/or Botox into the lines is a good option.  It really doesn't matter which type of HA filler you use (Juvederm vs Belotero) it is who does the injections.  Fine lines improve greatly with either filler, although Belotero is the only one with approval for fine wrinkles.  Either way, pick someone with experience in treating this are with a combination of treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Belotero is definitely the best filler for fine lines.

Of all the various fillers, nothing is as good as belotero when it comes to filling in fine delicate lines. cost is $550 per syringe and easy to get done. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon