Follow-Up Question: Tip Rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty? (photos)

I wsnt my bulbous tip slightly narrowed, and the nostrils slightly pulled inwards to create more of a triangular shape, do you think my bridge would have to be worked on aswell? Thank you

Thank you for the question and photos and after a complimentary. Onsultation aided by digital photography and your input you will become fully informed what is and what is not possible with your nose.  So see some experts in your area that use this technique

Dr Corbin

Follow-Up Question: Tip Rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty?

Generally speaking it is ill-advised to refine the tip and base of the nose without narrowing the bridge in appropriate candidates.  I think subtle narrowing of your bridge would balance better with the remaining features of your nose after rhinoplasty, leading to a more aesthetic and natural looking result.  Discuss this in a face-to-face consultation with your selected board-certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and good luck.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Isolated tip rhinoplasty is rarely performed #plasticsurgery

Its rare and unusual to operate on the nasal tip in isolation during rhinoplasty surgery. Most surgeons prefer to treat the nose as a whole and include modifications of the dorsum, alar base and other features.

Full rhinoplasty versus a tip rhinoplasty

A full rhinoplasty is required do to the fact that all the components of the nose are integrated and are wide. Performing only a component tip plasty of the nose will leave the nose unbalanced. The bulbous tip can be narrowed, the bridge line narrowed and the nostrils narrowed. For many examples of narrowing a wide nose, please see the link and the video below

Tip Rhinoplasty or Full Rhinoplasty?

Depending on your personal goals these pictures indicate that you can have a limited procedure to narrow and define your wide tip and nasal base. Your options can be clarified after an examination and discussion with an experienced rhinoplasty specialist. 

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty or full rhinoplasty?

Improving the nostril width and refining a flaring bulbous tip to achieve an improved natural appearing cosmetic result are frequent requests of patients wanting nasal refinement. It is possible to improve the cosmetic appearance of the tip alone without altering the rest of the nose in some patients. Whether the optimal option in your particular situation would be a tip rhinoplasty alone or a full rhinoplasty would best be determined at a consultation. Either procedure can be performed with a closed or open approach.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD