Hi, I have a bulbous nose but I definitely cannot afford a nose job, are there any alternatives?

I'd like to narrow my nose, and its uneven from bumps

Doctor Answers 7

Alternatives to rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi and thanks for the question. To answer your question, in short, no. A rhinoplasty is the definitive treatment for management of a bulbous tip. 

Best of luck,

Dr. Vallecillos 

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello GriffinLautner! To achieve that small and refined nose, a rhinoplasty is recommended. I suggest going to many consultations with experienced board-certified surgeons to see what options are out there for you. There are some surgeons who offer a credit plan that you can play monthly. I wish you all the luck!

Peter Newen, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Rhinoplasty: options for a bulbous nose

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance. Refining a bulbous tip is a common request.

Rhinoplasty and changing the shape of the nose is one of the most challenging facial plastic procedures. Each patient is different, so each surgery is different. Tips may be bulbous for different reasons, requiring specific surgical techniques. Short cuts will not produce the results anyone would want. I would specifically caution you regarding fillers in the tip of the nose. Filler would simply "blow up the balloon" and make the tip of your nose even rounder. Even scarier, the blood supply can be compromised and the tip tissue can literally die, which would be a catastrophe to repair. 

There is no rush to change the shape of your nose. If you really want to change it, take your time and do it right. Meet with more than one surgeon and learn about the surgical options that are appropriate for your face to produce a safe and happy result. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 10 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

the changes you briefly describe wanting would need a surgical solution - a rhinoplasty - have said that your nose looks fine so there is no rush 


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and I would go on some complimentRy consultations with experts in the area.   You may be surprised that what you would like accomplished is affordable

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

I definitely cannot afford a nose job, are there any alternatives? (photos)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, there are many alternatives.  Make a plan.  You were born with that nose, and have lived with it now many years.  Although surgery may be too costly now, you'll likely be able to afford it in the future if still desired.  Focus on your own career development that will, hopefully, offer you sufficient financial freedom to get what you want.  Also, look in the mirror and see true reality, a handsome face peering back at you.  A bulbous tip can sometimes be corrected by an office procedure that is much less costly than complete rhinoplasty.  If you absolutely must do something now, consult with a surgeon in your area to understand and evaluate possibilities.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 50 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you move forward by consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn about the options nearest you. That way, you may be able to benefit from a non-surgical procedure now or save up for a surgical procedure in the future. It is always best to manage expectations earlier in the process anyways.

Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.