Two weeks after hair transplant, I noticed scabs forming, I'd gently rub my head and scabs fall off. Any suggestions?

I do this without any picking, nails, scratching, etc. I have not noticed hair follicles but I see scabs even though I used to wash my head daily, is this good for my head, or should I stop? Are the follicles still sensitive to rubbing, or are they secure? I see little dried blood dots on my receipient area, and they are about 10 different dots, I also feel a burning sensation but I dont know if this is the scabs or follicles? the doctor now allowed me to excercise, shower normally, brush my head

2 weeks and crusting remains

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing,.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

You should follow your doctor's instruction for post operative care. In general you should wash your hair everyday.

You should follow your doctor's instruction for post operative care. In general you should wash your hair everyday.  The scab will fall out over time.  You may be seeing scabs.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Your hair transplant

The chances are you are rubbing off the scabs.  By two weeks the follicles are planted.It is normal to experience this, and despite how many times I tell patients this is going to happen, they generally freak out.  So you are normal.  I hope that helps. 

Tim Neavin, MD