How many areas should be treated for the amount of problem areas I have? Botox. Possibly Restylane.

I have smokers lines, bunny lines, 11 on forehead and a crease shaped like a frown just under my nose. I also have dropped upper eyelids. I want to get botox and possibly restylane. How many areas would this be considered treated with botox? Not sure if restylane yet.

Restyle and Botox

Dear Diglana,

"Bunny lines" and "11 lines" can be treated with Botox.  Smoker's lines and lines under the nose are typically treated with Restylane (although without photos or an exam, I cannot be 100% sure in your case). It is best to pay for your Botox by the units used, as opposed to "areas."  The variation in units in any given area can be big, so why not just pay for exactly what you use?  In addition, this way you will know exactly how many units you are getting.  One "syringe" can contain a different amount of units depending on how the Botox was reconstituted (made into a liquid from a crystalline solid) and how it was diluted!

Hope this helps!
Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Wrinkle Reduction with Botox, Xeomin, or Dysport

The areas mentioned are very treatable with Neuromodulators such as Botox, Xeomin, or Dysport.  Careful consideration is required with someone who has dropped/heavy upper eyelids as it may make it worse.  

A consultation from a Board Certified Expert Injector is recommended to get a more personalized treatment plan for wrinkle reduction and to get informed about other options that may be available for you.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

How many areas should be treated for the amount of problem areas I have? = many #fb #liquidfacelift #drmesa

Patient with multiple lines, and wrinkles in different areas of the face may improve their physical finding with Botox and dermal fillers in multiple areas. The number of areas to be treated depends on the number of areas with the physical finding and the goal of the patients for treatment.

Patients interested in facial improvement with Botox and fillers should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in cosmetic injections of the face

John Mesa MD
New York City (#NYC) & New Jersey (#NJ)

John Mesa, MD

Treatment of Nasal and Orbital Areas

The only way to answer your question is with a direct exam. Botox can reduce muscle function to prevent the muscle from causing wrinkles. If you already have permanent wrinkles that are present when the muscle is not functional, then you need a filler like Restylane or Juvederm also. Make sure you see an Expert Injector. (See ExpertInjector.org)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Botox, Fillers & Injection Sites

Hi there,

I would most likely use Botox for your 11 wrinkles and bunny line wrinkles, as well as any other forehead creases/wrinkles. As far as your smoker’s lines, Botox is a possibility; however, so is a filler called Belotero. I would like to examine you first to get an idea of how deep your wrinkles are so that we can decide how to get your best results. The upper eyelids could require a surgical procedure in which we could discuss more about at your consultation. Please see the link below for more information, as well as a step-by-step 3D video explaining the procedure. Make sure whoever you let inject you is a double board certified plastic, not cosmetic, surgeon. Best of luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

How many areas for treatment of face with Botox?

• You will need to have a consultation first -
  • Some surgeons charge by area. Others, like myself, charge by the exact number of injections needed which is more precise and may save you money.
  • By smoker's lines, I assume you mean your upper lip.
  • If you go to someone charging by the area, you will probably be charged for 3 areas.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Where Botox can be used

Thank you for your question Diglana. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. Botox can address wrinkles around the mouth, between the brows, under the nose, and in the corners of the brows (to raise the brows). We charge based on units used, not areas. Typically areas in the lower face require fewer units that those in the upper face. Restylane is a filler than can restore volume loss. This is commonly used in the nasolabial folds. Please consult with a doctor for specific advice. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox v. filler for "lines"

Lines or wrinkles can occur for different reasons in the facial reason.
"Dynamic" lines are lines due to repetitive muscle action: the most common examples of these are the horizontal forehead lines, the glabellar "11" lines (between the eyebrows), and "crow's feet" at the outer corners of the eyes. Botulinum toxin injections (Botox) are the best treatment for these lines.
"Static" lines are lines which develop due to volume loss, descent, or increased skin laxity. These can be seen in the "tear trough" (the hollow area at the lid-cheek junction), the nasolabial fold (depression along the area between the corner of the mouth up to the nose), the outer corners of the mouth, and the "marionette lines". The best treatment for these areas is to add volume with hyaluronic acid filler injections.
These treatments can often be done in combination. Be sure to see an injector with significant experience treating these areas with these products.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox ad Restylane

It would be best to post a photo of the areas involved to help you.  If your eyes are drooping like you describe then only a "baby" amount of Botox in the forehead can be used if any at all.  The glabella and bunny lines can be treated with Botox.  The other lines that you are describing around the mouth are best treated with Restylane or lasers.  An in person consultation is really the only way to assess the areas that you need.  Best, Dr. Green 

Botox for facial rejuvenation Williamsville, NY #Botox provider

A picture and in person examination will delineate exactly what you need, whether #Botox or #FacialFiller or both.

Seek an experienced provider for an in person examination and consultation.

Best
Dr. Karamanoukian