One month ago I had a tram breast reconstruction done to my left breast, now the left is breast underneath is open, Normal?

my left breast open up underneath, about 4 inches, I am putting the meds on as instructed by my doctor and keeping it clean is this normal..

Tram Breast Surgery

Thanks for your inquiry.It is not unusual to have some dehiscence after breast reconstruction.It could be just a few sutures that opened up.I suggest you follow up regularly with your surgeon just to be sure that wound is healing properly.The surgeon will then be able to make the decision whether he/she can close the wound or it is better off closing on its own by secondary intention. I hope this helps.Best of luck!

Breast reconstruction

An open incision can occur after breast reconstruction. Many times if it is small, local wound care can successfully treat it. If it is a large wound, then sometimes additional surgery is required. Best to review with your doctor.

Team reconstruction

Thank you for your question.  Some wound opening can happen in large areas that are healing.  Please keep a close contact with your surgeons office and this will heal.  You are doing all the appropriate things. Best of luck. 

Wound opening

Thanks for sharing your question. Wound dehiscence (opening) is can happen at incisions after tram reconstruction. It can happen on the breast or even on the abdominal donor site.  The treatment is wound care and may take up to 6 weeks to heal. Good luck. 

Ali Sadeghi, MD, FACS
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon