Is this an open roof? Will shaving resolve it? (Photo)

Hi I had open septo rhinoplasty 7 months ago and as the swelling settled the bump appeared with a dent in the middle of my bridge. If I touch it I can feel a ridge. Surgeon is due to shave it down but I'm worried that it may need more than shaving if it's an open roof. Surgery is a week away so would appreciate responses to reassure me. Thanks

Open roof

from the pictures it looks like an open roof. Shaving it may help but may make it worse. You may need a revision rhinoplasty to bring the bones together and smooth out the area. Good luck. 

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns about your Rhinoplasty with us.

Congratulations for having patience and wait more than six months PO, which is the recommended time allowed to make judgments of value and be precise and accurate.

After having analyzed all the info and photos provided to us, i recommend to perform a Secondary Rhinoplasty (not a tip revision) this means (basically) treat the nasal bones and the nasal cartilages.
Therefore i would perform a narrowing of the nasal base (nose osteotomy) and alar and triangular cartilage shaping.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

It is hard to be 100% certain whether or not it is an open roof but there certainly are some concerning features as you've pointed out. As you've astutely pointed out, an open roof is closed not by shaving down but by "closing" or "lateral" osteotomies, where a cut in the nasal bone on each side where the sidewall meets the cheek to allow the sidewalls to lean in further and close the roof. You may benefit from speaking with your surgeon about shaving vs. osteotomies to help resolve what is best for you. 

Hope that helps!

Jeffrey Watson, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon