Facial symmetry? Is fat grafting a good option? (Photo)

I would like to be symmetrical. I would like my right eye and cheek to match my left, my left chin to match my right. Is fat grafting a good option? And what would the cost look like. I am also interested in using fat grafting for slightly bigger lips.

Facial asymmetry - fat transfer - lipofilling

thank you for posting your picture. In order to assess facial asymmetry right, a patient needs to be assessed what are the causes. These can be congenital or aquired (for example ..facial trauma, aging process). Is the asymmetry more related to bony structures, or to the soft tissue (i.e. facial muscles, fat compartments). Looking at your picture, it seems that the your facial asymmetry is related to some differences in your facial skeleton. The orbital height difference is something that cannot be corrected with lipofilling. This would involve a more complex type of surgery, (i.e. osteotomies to move your orbit). Usually, this is rarely performed for cosmetic reasons, due to the associated risks. The differences in the volume of your cheeks, could be either related to some asymmetry of your facial bones, or to the overlying soft tissue. A 3D CT scan would show the differences. Having the information of the 3D CT, your surgeon can discuss with you if osteomies, facial implants, or lipofilling would be a good option. Lipofilling may camouflage and correct some of the asymmetry. But no matter what surgical corrective procedure you are considering, most likely there will be some remaining asymmetry, which is actually quiet normal. Nobody is perfectly symmetric. Considering the correction you are looking at, is basically really understanding what is surgically doable, what risks are associated with, and will the  possible outcome meet your expectations. 

I hope this helped.

Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for facial volumization #plasticsurgery

Fat grafting is a reliable way to augment facial soft tissue volume related to aging. It could be used to correct facial asymmetry to some degree. Facial implants could also be used. An in-person exam in critical to answer this question.

Facial Asymmetry

Fat grafting is not usually a good treatment for a bony deficiency. Your facial asymmetry is most noticeable in the eye/cheek area as you have orbital dystopia. Fat grafting will not elevate the lower eye which is the key in your facial asymmetry correction. This his best treated by getting a 3D CT scan from custom implants can be made if it is appropriate.

Face

Thank you for posting your question. Fat transfer and implants are both good options to enhance facial symmetry. I think you may benefit more from having implants, however, as fat transfer result can be unpredictable as different people reabsorb different amount of fat. For your lips, I recommend starting with hyaluronic acid  fillers before going with more permanent options. Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm give consistent results and dissolve naturally after about six months. Their effects are also reversible if you are not satisfied. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

you would think that this would be an easy problem. It isn't. The asymmetries go down to the bone and they are in 3 dimensions, not just the flat surface you see in a mirror.

Regardless your eyes won"t change

The problem is partly perceptual, people who are sensitive to asymmetries are very self critical and see, or at least perceive a level of distortion that no one else sees. In trying to fix this sometimes the perceived asymmetries become worse or one asymmetry is traded for another.

Sometimes you get lucky and make things better. The issue is burning bridges, this is difficult enough to do that you want to have a way out of what you have changed if you don't like it.

If you want to try this I would not use fat, over which the surgeon has very little control, I would only use HA fillers like Lyft, restylane  or juvederm which can be dissolved.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Here's Some Great Options

Fillers, implants, fat and sculptra will do very well for facial symmetry and sculpting. Lip augmentation can be done with fillers, (Restylane, Juvederm) or with implants or fat. I recommend seeing an expert for a formal consultation. Cost will vary. Best, Dr. Emer.

Treating facial asymmetries with fat grafting.

The asymmetries in your bone structure cannot be perfectly corrected but fat grafting could be used to restore better balance between the two sides of your face.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon or facial/ENT plastic surgeon to discuss the potential improvement as well as the limitations of the procedure.  At the same time that could certainly be injected into your lips.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Facial Fat Grafting

Thanks for your question. It is really hard to do a full face evaluation with one picture.

But in general, fat grafting to the face is a great way of achieving the symmetry you desire.  It gives you a natural and long lasting way of adding volume to problem areas.    Get a consultation with someone who performed grafting a lot to learn about your options.

Khashayar Mohebali, MD, FACS
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon