Had an anchor lift along with 425cc Natrelle silicone-filled implants, going in for a revision would 500cc look too big?(photos)

Hi I'm 26, 5'4 and weigh 130 i had a anchor lift along with 425cc natrelle silicone-filled implants. Unfortunately i have to get the left one re-positioned, that alone will be is going to coast 800.00 for 2,200 more i can go bigger. I need answers, its not that i think they are too small, but since i have to go back under i was thinking what the heck. My doctor recommended no bigger than 500cc if i do 500cc are they going to look too big that they look fat and not at nice? Thank you so much!

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, I would not recommend that you have larger  breast implants placed, if you like your breast size currently ( "what the heck" is not enough of a reason to utilize larger breast implants if you are pleased with current breast size).

Generally speaking, patients undergoing revisionary breast surgery should understand that there may be many variables besides breast implant volume that come into play when determining optimal  breast implant selection during revisionary breast surgery.  For example, adjustment of the breast implant capsules may be necessary; this adjustment may be a factor when it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile.  Lots to factors to consider...

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “too big and fat” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Revision Breast Augmentation

Without an examination or at least photographs, no intelligent information can be given to you. You should listen to your surgeon or get a few second opinions by ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Revision of BA and Lift

It's important for a patient to have realistic expectations. The goal photo you showed is a patient whose preop anatomy does not match your preop anatomysince you required a lift and she did not,  and so it is unrealistic to think you can get her look. That does not mean you can't go up to 500cc if you like, but the result will be the same look you have now,  but just a little fuller. Hope that helps in your decision.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Be careful

The fact that you needed an anchor type mastopexy means there was a fair amount of redundant skin. In your goal picture is most likely a patient who started off with very small breasts that have never been stretched and therefore the skin remains very tight around the implant. Adding more weight to your implant it, in my opinion will cause earlier discent of the implant with loss of upper pole fullness and look nothing like the photograph you have showed. Best to discuss these options as far as pros and cons with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

You can't always get what you want in breast surgery when your skin is poor

When you need an anchor lift, it means that your skin elasticity is poor by definition, and that means that you will not hold up the big time upper pole fullness that you want from a huge implant. Almost certainly, the big heavy implants will fall with time as compared to a tight skinned patient. Listen to your doctor's concerns and don't take them lightly.

Breast surgery

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Without seeing you in person it is difficult to determine what look you will have with a 500cc implant. I'm sure your surgeon advised you not to have more than 500cc for a reason. It is worth asking your surgeon why you cannot go any larger, it may be because there will more and increased risk of complications with a larger size.

Good luck

Chien C. Kat, FRCS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Had an anchor lift along with 425cc Natrelle silicone-filled implants, going in for a revision would 500cc look too big?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It is impossible to answer without examining you in a face-to-face setting and discussing your goals.  I would have you keep in mind however that larger and heavier implants do cause eventual thinning of breast tissue and stretching of the skin over time and although a change from 425 to 500 mL is not enormous,  I would want you to be aware of the slippery slope that you may enter. Larger implants do cause descent of the breast in many patients leading to a request for an even larger implant in the future (possibly).  On examination one can determine if you lack adequate or optimal upper pole fullness making a larger implant a consideration.  Think this over carefully and please watch the video link above about the dangers of implants is to get increasingly larger and heavier.  In the end of course it is your choice.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD