Am I going to be OK? (Photo)

I had surgery in mexico. Im not sure if I should worry about the yellow part on my incision. I've read that it's skin dying dur to lack of blood in that area and that it should heal normally but that's what I've gathered from others pictures and questions. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Should I bandage the area? air it out? continue wearing the compression garments? apply neosporin? Keep the area dry? Go to the emergency room? Please, what steps should I take for the best possible outcome?

Mommy make-over abroad - now have concerns

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• You have two choices -
  • Send a photo to your Mexican surgeon and ask for instructions on wound care.
  • See a plastic surgeon near you for help - you will be charged.
  • Your photo does not show skin necrosis -
  • You may just have irritation from sutures below.
  • It the garment is causing pain, don't wear it.
  • Going to an emergency room will be very expensive and you will not get the wound care you need -
  • Please in the future if you have surgery abroad, arrange a plastic surgeon at home to care for you afterwards.
  • Surgery is the beginning of a complex healing process and care afterwards is what gives you the best possible outcome.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Incision breakdown after a tummy tuck

Probably the first thing you should do is contact your plastic surgeon and send a photo by email, and seek his recommendations. This kind of breakdown isn't terribly uncommon and usually heals very nicely with the proper care. I would favor washing it with soapy water twice a day and applying a dry dressing. A short course of antibiotics may be appropriate.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Tummy

Hi Elissa, YES (in all probability), YOU WILL BE OK!!. Thanks for posting the pictures as they help. There is no reason for alarm. Do forward pictures to your PS in Mexico as I am sure he would be more than glad to help you and see you through your post op recovery.

In my opinion it looks like superficial skin necrosis of a part of the wound (not unusual) which would need clean sterile dressings for a week or two to heal. I would advise you to keep the wound clean, apply neopsorin, cover it with a sterile dressing and wear the pressure garments as advised by your PS.

You would need to go to the emergency room:
  1. If you see increased increased redness
  2. If you experience pain along the suture line
  3. If you see purulent (pus) discharge
  4. If you have fever along with the local wound changes.
I hope this helps. I wish you a safe and a fast recovery.

Am I going to be OK?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. I feel like I am constantly harping on this, but this is yet another perfect example of the dangers and frustrations with medical tourism. You went to Mexico to have surgery because it presumably saved you a few dollars. When you get back and start having problems, you have no one to turn to and getting help from someone local can prove to be not only difficult but also very costly. This is why you should always have surgery from a qualified, board certified, plastic surgeon in your area. It may seem like more money in the beginning, but in the end, you get what you pay for. 

In regards to your issue, I would contact your surgeon for advice. If you cannot get help from him or her, you might need to turn to a local provider. What you have is the beginning of a wound separation and it could worsen over time. If it is minimal, it may be able to be treated with local wound care and heal with time. The only proper thing to do is be followed by someone who can see you regularly and give you advice on how to best treat this as it progresses. This kind of service would have been included in the cost of your surgery from a local surgeon. 

Hope this helps and be safe!

Am I going to be OK?

You are having a postoperative complication of your surgery and you need to be examined by and cared for by the surgeon. That is what you paid for. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Contact plastic surgeon

The incision opening should be treated as open wound with cleaning with possible peroxide and antibiotics ointments. Recommend seeking your surgeon as soon as possible 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Wound Separation

Thank you for your pictures.  In my opinion, it looks like you have a wound separation.  You should contact your surgeon for the best advice on how to proceed with care.  Good Luck.

Post-Op Mommy Makeover Healing

You should definitely take any concerns regarding your incisions and infections directly to your surgeon. If you are unable to visit in person, then these pictures should be sent to him for evaluation and further advice. Best of luck.

Dr derby

You need to send the same photo to your surgeon and depending on his request look for a second opinion in the Emergency , if necessary. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD