Am I going to be OK? (Photo)
Doctor Answers 9
Mommy make-over abroad - now have concerns
- You have two choices -
- Send a photo to your Mexican surgeon and ask for instructions on wound care.
- See a plastic surgeon near you for help - you will be charged.
- Your photo does not show skin necrosis -
- You may just have irritation from sutures below.
- It the garment is causing pain, don't wear it.
- Going to an emergency room will be very expensive and you will not get the wound care you need -
- Please in the future if you have surgery abroad, arrange a plastic surgeon at home to care for you afterwards.
- Surgery is the beginning of a complex healing process and care afterwards is what gives you the best possible outcome.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
Incision breakdown after a tummy tuck
In my opinion it looks like superficial skin necrosis of a part of the wound (not unusual) which would need clean sterile dressings for a week or two to heal. I would advise you to keep the wound clean, apply neopsorin, cover it with a sterile dressing and wear the pressure garments as advised by your PS.
You would need to go to the emergency room:
- If you see increased increased redness
- If you experience pain along the suture line
- If you see purulent (pus) discharge
- If you have fever along with the local wound changes.
You might also like...
Am I going to be OK?
In regards to your issue, I would contact your surgeon for advice. If you cannot get help from him or her, you might need to turn to a local provider. What you have is the beginning of a wound separation and it could worsen over time. If it is minimal, it may be able to be treated with local wound care and heal with time. The only proper thing to do is be followed by someone who can see you regularly and give you advice on how to best treat this as it progresses. This kind of service would have been included in the cost of your surgery from a local surgeon.
Hope this helps and be safe!
Am I going to be OK?
Contact plastic surgeon
Post-Op Mommy Makeover Healing
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.