Is it possible to sculpt your nose the way you wanted to look when you get a nose job?

Say I want my nose to look a certain way, if my nose is wide and flat can a nose job make it thin and narrow?

A rhinoplasty procedure can enhance the contours and shape of your nose.

If you’re unhappy with the shape, size, or asymmetry of your nose, a rhinoplasty procedure may be able to help you. First, a skilled plastic surgeon will listen to your individual needs and goals for your new look before designing a surgical plan that will help to achieve those goals. Keep in mind, though, that while you can achieve excellent results through this procedure, a rhinoplasty isn’t meant to completely alter your appearance. Instead, think of it as a way to enhance your natural features.

Misconceptions in rhinoplast

a rhinoplasty is an architectural undertaking. Little "sculpting" takes place. The nose is a vault with thin bone and cartilage that must be carefully trimmed, stitched, cut and reassembled. A wide flat nose is like a one story house without a roof. You'll will likely need to add a narrower second story.

Dear rvilaalvazo, During consultation digital imaging can be performed that will show you the proposed changes to your nose that are attainable taking into consideration your personal desires, nasal anatomy and skin thickness. Once the desired nose is agreed upon then the surgeons job is to artistically sculpt the nose to match the proposed result. I personally show patients before and after photographs as well as imaged photographs so that they can see how close in proximity the proposed and desired results are. See an example of the imaging process in the video above and rhinoplasty results in the link below. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon Sculpts Your Nose Like an Artist

Hi R,Yes, a rhinoplasty surgeon expert can sculpt your nose to your desired shape.  It is important to choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Michaelangelo said "I saw the angel within the stone and carved until it was set free."  I like to see the "nose" within and carve until it is set free.  Much better to choose a da Vinci trained surgeon over one who's work resembles Picasso!  Good luck and be well.Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculpting your nose

in most rhinoplasty cases there are significantly different options on how to shape and and form your nose. Your input is critical in this decision-making. In order to optimize your results to your liking a very good option is to use digital imaging with your surgeon. Using  Digital imaging in rhinoplasty you can optimize Communication with your surgeon and you can get an excellent sense of the possible outcomes.  You can also use this opportunity to optimize your surgeons understanding of your preferred nose. Look for an experienced plastic surgeon who is certified by the American board of plastic surgery. See more than one consultation and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Is It Possible to Sculpt the Nose the Way You Want It?

An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will evaluate a patient's nose, listen to the patient's desires and educate that individual about options and reasonable goals. You cannot go to a catalogue and pick out a specific nose; there are limitations depending on your genetically determined appearance. It would not be reasonable for me to request a nose like Angelina Jolie's. Having said that, the patient and surgeon decide what will be done to achieve the best possible result.

Rhinoplasty candidate to narrow and wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can narrow a wide nose. To accomplish this requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones, suture techniques to narrowly wide bulbous tip, and an alar-plasty to narrow wide nostrils. It's very important to have realistic expectations regarding changing your own current anatomy of the nose. Digital computer imaging will also be helpful to get an idea of what can be accomplished. Look for a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for best results, because rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field cosmetics

Rhinoplasty results for a smaller and more defined nose

I would need to see photographs of your nose and your goals to determine how much definition can be created and still have a natural looking nose. See a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses for the best results based on his before and after photos and not imaging. 

Achieving rhinoplasty results

It is always important to explain to your surgeon the way you want your nose to look. I always encourage patients to bring in photos. Then I can better determine whether or not I can make the necessary changes to get that result. Good communication is the key to being happy with your results from rhinoplasty.