Mommy makeover needed. Do I have too much skin to get tummy tuck & do I need to lose more weight before it can be done? (Photos)

I have lost 120 lbs in the past yr. I started at 350 & am now 235. I am 6'0". I want a mommy makeover to get rid of my stomach lift my breasts & butt & thin out the skin in my vaginal area. The skin in my stomach causes me sores, gets in the way when I workout, causes hygienic challenges & when I wear pants it gives me sores on my skin cause the fabric rubbing on the skin. Do I need to lose more weight, if so How much? Is there a recommendation for the services? Cost? Are addl pics needed?

A combination of procedures, including a lower body lift, may offer the best results.

Congratulations on your weight loss success! After extensive weight loss, it’s common to have excess abdominal skin. A lower body lift, which combines a tummy tuck with an outer thigh and buttock lift, can eliminate loose, hanging skin, improving your contours and resolving your discomfort. Good plastic surgery candidates have a BMI of 30 or lower. Given your current weight, you’d need to lose about 15 pounds to put you on the safe side of the BMI scale. I’d recommend a breast lift as a separate surgery from your lower body lift. The cost for these procedures varies according to the plastic surgeon you choose and the amount of time it takes for the surgeon to complete the procedures. Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in post-weight loss plastic surgery.

Mommy makeover needed. Do I have too much skin to get tummy tuck & do I need to lose more weight before it can be done?

If you anticipate staying round this weight then have your abdominoplasty now. If you think you are going to loose more weight then wait to do it then.

Fred Suess, MD

Great Job!

Hi, thanks so much for your pictures and for your inquiry, congratulations on your weight loss, you have done a wonderful job!, If you want you might have your MMO and would have good results, but if you want even better results you should try to approach to your ideal weight as much as possible, this would also make your surgery safer.  Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!
Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty and Liposuction

Hello,You appear to be a great candidate for an extended abdominoplasty and liposuction of the waist. A thorough exam would be needed to confirm, but you do not need to loose any more weight to get a great result.  Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover

You've lost a significant amount of weight but if you think you can lose more than go for it.  If not, then you should proceed with a tummy tuck.  You would definitely benefit from a lower body lift but I would save this for the second procedure.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Body makeover

Nice job on the weight loss!  Honestly you appear to be getting pretty close to a goal weight.  The main thing is, are you there, and has your weight been stable?  Ideally, we want it stable for a minimum of 6 months.  With all of your issues related to skin care, you should also try to get insurance to cover the panniculectomy part.  That won't cover everything you need but will help.  Essentially, you need a circumferential lift, or body lift, and a breast reduction/lift.  Sometimes other things are needed as well - I'm sure your PS will let you know how he/she can help you best.  Keep up the good work!

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Physician

Safety as first priority

It seems you are a wonderful candidate for a LOWER BODY LIFT which represents a Circumferential Tummy Tuck in order to get rid of the saggy skin on abdomen (apron), lift and reduce pubic area, and tighten and lift the buttocks area. During these procedures, it will be recommended a Muscle Repair in order to achieve a flatter abdomen and smaller waist. I would add some liposuction to lower back.Even though I do not see very good you breast, I consider you will be needed for a Major Breast Lift and some Breast Reduction, which represents a very large procedure as well.So because of Safety, both procedures together will represent 8-9 hour procedure which is NOT safe. Your current BMI is over 31 and will be wonderful and ideal because of safety, you may be below 30 by the day of surgery (around 215-220lbs).You have started already a wonderful journey, so the PS will only enhance and improved what you already have achieved.Be encouraged.Dr. Carmina Cardenas

Tummy tuck

Thank you for the question and congratulations on the weight loss!  The decision on whether to proceed with body contouring after weight loss can depend on how you lost the weight (diet/exercise, surgery), how long you've been at a stable weight, your current nutrition, etc.  Also, after massive weight loss, many patients have excess skin/tissue that goes around to the back, and so may be better treated with a body lift (like a tummy tuck that goes all the way around).  The options are very patient-specific depending on your wishes as well as based on your body.  I recommend that you consult with a Plastic Surgeon so that you can have an examination and opportunity to ask questions about your options.  Have a blessed day!

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician

Candidate for a tummy tuck

Based on these photographs you appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction.  This will flatten the muscles, reconstruct your core muscular corset, revise the belly button, eliminate the stretch marks from the belly button to the pubic hairline, and remove the loose skin and fat of the anterior abdomen.

Mommy Makeover

Congratulations on your weight loss.  It is best to be at your goal weight before undergoing surgery.  Your current BMI is ~31.  Most surgeons prefer you to be under 30.  You mention lifting the butt which is more than a tummy tuck. That usually requires a circumferential body lift to lift the buttock and outer thighs.  This includes a tummy tuck but goes completely around the back.  Cost tend to vary greatly based on where you live.  Best to be evaluated in person.  Good luck and again congratulations on your weight loss.