Lump in left side of chest and not symmetrical with right. Any suggestions?

Hello. I had gynecomastia about 4 weeks ago and my concern is that I feel like there is a very small lump on my left side and that my left side is not symmetrical or not as smooth/flat as my right side. It is barely noticeable but is this normal? I know the doctors on this site or platform will probably need to see me to assess but if I can get an idea of what it might be based on the numerous cases (I am sure) that you have seen, I would really appreciate it.

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery.
Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Lump After Gynecomastia

It is difficult to determine without an assessment. Also, note swelling may last several months. I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.

Take care.

Asymmetry and lump after gynecomastia

You can have asymmetry of soft tissue fullness or even get fat necrosis following gynecomastia surgery. But this is correctable with a small revision etc.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question but I agree totally with Dr Castillo that without a complete history of your procedure and an examination it is impossible to say what you are feeling

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Thank you for your question.  You are right in that it is difficult to make definite recommendations without seeing a series of pre and post surgery photographs, as well as without knowing whether the surgery entailed direct gland excision and/or liposuction.  As you are recently out from surgery, however, I would allow 6 months to pass before assessing your long-term results. You likely still have swelling from surgery that needs to resolve, but it is common to have subtle asymmetries between your left and right sides as nearly everyone has differences to begin with.  Voice your concerns with your surgeon, they are in the best position to provide advice and reassurance.