Would it be possible to reduce my breasts by 5 cup sizes? (28I to 28D)

19/98 lbs/28I(32F). Reduction booked/approved by insurance. In consultation, my surgeon and I discussed ballpark sizes: remove as much as safely possible/end about 28D(34A). Surgeon said it was possible, but, comparing 28I to 34A, I feel I’m asking too much. (DISCLAIMER: Would never hold her accountable for final size; she can’t control development.) Will further discuss desires in pre-op, but I don’t want to have unrealistic expectations. Have you preformed similar operations? Is it feasible?

Reduction

Yes, I think this is very possible.  However, an image would be helpful to full assess this.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

you would have to be seen in person to determine what was possible. The back size can not be changed.

Would it be possible to reduce my breasts by 5 cup sizes?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival. 

There is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery. There is simply too much variability among bra cup manufactures to make it a useful metric when it comes to preoperative communication and/or post operative predictions.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon (who you should choose very carefully). Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.    Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.