Is 500g breast reduction realistic?

19y.o./5'3/98lb/28I(32F)/BSA1.4/BMI17.4/BFP20 Insurance has approved my reduction, and I've booked the surgery! According to my insurance policy, I have to remove at least 324g from each breast. No problem! My fear is they won't be reduced enough: I'd like to go down by about 500g per breast, but I'm not sure it's realistic, given my small frame and low body fat. My surgeon and I discussed it briefly, and she said it was possible, but I'd like a second opinion. I don't want to get my hopes up.

Breast reduction

You would have to be seen in person to determine what might be possible for you. Best of luck moving forward.

Breast Reduction amount

Thanks for your question. No one can answer this question here without photos or an examination. 

For many patients 500 grams or even much more is possible , but it depends on how much you're starting with.  While your surgeon will want to achieve your goals, there are sometimes limits to how much can be removed and still keep the nipple alive.

In my own practice I would much rather think about the patient's goals and the aesthetics and not focus on an exact number. I much prefer to take off what I think is correct, no matter what the insurance company wants.

If you have chosen a good plastic surgeon , your PS will try to give you realistic expectations, while balancing your desires with the safety of the operation.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Is 500g breast reduction realistic?

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

Once you have communicated your goals carefully, your plastic surgeon will be able to provide you with an estimation of how much tissue will need to be removed, in order to achieve your desired outcome.

Best wishes with your breast reduction procedure; hopefully you will be very pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.