I had a mole removed and it grew back differently. What does this mean? (photos)

I had a strange looking mole on my leg, I had it removed, but a few weeks later it grew back bigger and darker. Part of it is raised and hurts to touch.

Recurrent mole

A mole that recurs, especially so quickly after removal needs to be investigated. I recommend you consult with your doctor. If the original mole was indeed benign, it may be that the pigmented area was not completely excised and has returned. In which case I recommend a wider excision. I would want to know for sure that the pathology was definitely benign.

Mole Grew Back

There are two questions to be answered here before a good answer can be given.1.  How was it removed?2.  What did the pathology report say?I would definitely go back to your doctor and show them this.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Irregular appearing mole

When moles are removed, they can sometimes grow back with an irregular appearance. If the mole is benign we typically call this a recurrent nevus. However, any irregular appearing pigmented lesion should be evaluated by a dermatologist or other qualified physician. This one should be as well. There a few possibilities here relating to this particular lesion.1) It is a benign but irregular appearing recurrent nevus. 2) If the mole was initially removed and found to be precanerous based on pathology (a dysplastic nevus) it could represent a return of the prior precancerous mole. 3) The mole has developed into a malignant melanoma. Purely based upon the picture it is impossible to give you a definitive answer. However, the most important thing regarding this lesion would be to have it evaluated by a dermatologist as soon as possible.

Cylburn E. Soden Jr., MD
Laurel Dermatologic Surgeon