Tell me about the internal bra/permanent sutures. I have questions.

Hello there. I was wondering.... for the IB, are breasts mobile like the dissolvable ones? Is it most likely to pucker, and for how long? Can they be felt? Thx

Internal Bra

Different surgeons have many different interpretations of what this really means.  It can either mean the placement of pig or cadaver human dermis (skin) withing the breast pocket to keep the implant high and tight.  Or this can refer to the placement of internal sutures.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Best wishes!
Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Internal Bra Procedure

Different people mean different things by "internal bra" procedures. A few refer to use of an acellular dermal matrix, though most simply refer to use of a deepitheliazed dermal margin along all skin edges. In the latter, buried sutures that usually take from 6-9 months to dissolve are placed within this strip. This makes the closure much stronger and significantly helps prevent stretching of the tissues post op since in breast reductions and lifts where this procedure is used the skin is usually very thin and having the extra tissue in the scar stabilizes it. This means that the results are more long lasting. Neither the sutures or the dermal strip are usually palpable and they do not limit normal breast motion, nor do they cause puckering.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Beware

Many surgeons doing 'internal bra' sutures or techniques with similar names are using the terms for marketing and will claim that there are better results and long results. This has not been shown definitely to be true and I would be careful.
Hope this helps.

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Internal bra

The internal bra is a marketing term for sutures being placed in the breast tissue to support it.  This is commonly done in a vertical lift.

Breast support

Hello and thank you for your question. This can be a great procedure for the right patient.  It can help support the breasts and give a nice lift and shape. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Different surgeons do different things

Unfortunately your question is best answered by your personal surgeon as only he/she knows exactly what will be done.  Some surgeons use dissolvable sutures, some use permanent sutures, and even in the dissolvable and permanent categories there are different types.   Will it change the pocket feeling?  This all depends on what is being done once again.  Unfortunately there is no one "internal bra" procedure.  You get different things with different techniques and need to speak in detail with your surgeon.  Sorry I can't be more help but wanted to explain.  Good luck!

Internal Bra

I would love to answer your question but not really sure what you are referring to as an Internal Bra.  I perform a procedure with a breast lift that tightens the overlying tissue but have never heard of an IB with a straightforward breast augmentation.  

If you can provide more information, I would be happy to answer your question!