My doc say operating the turbinates at the same time as a SeptoRhinoplasty may cause some sort of fusion inside the nose.Advice?

I'm having a SeptoRhinoplasty scheduled for next week. I also have large turbinates that may need to be reduced. My doctor says the turbinates should not be operated on at the same time as the other two procedures because it may cause some sort of fusion inside the nose...I think he said the turbinates and septum may fuse. Has anyone heard of this being the case? I see other people having all three procedures: spetoplasty, rhinoplasty, and turbinectomy done at once.

Turbinates a rhinoplasty can be done together

there is no reason to be concerned about fusion. Besides the fact that it is very uncommon to have scarring like that, it can be prevented by using silicone sheets to line the septum. If your turbinates are big they should be reduced. 

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, septoplasty, and turbinate surgery Combination

Turbinate surgery is only performed when the inferior turbinates are significantly enlarged and blocking airflow. A septoplasty is performed when there's a deviated nasal septum present that's blocking airflow on either one or both sides of the nose. A rhinoplasty  is performed only for cosmetic purposes. Both functional and cosmetic nasal surgery can be performed at same time under the same anesthetic with the same recovery period. Careful dissection and technique are important not to get any adhesions between the septum and the inferior turbinates.  All three procedures are frequently performed when needed.

Turbinates and Septoplasty

It is very common to do septoplasty and turbinectomy at the same time. To prevent fusion between the septum and the turbinates simple precautions like using lots of saline, using splints for a week to keep the turbinates away from the septum and regular follow ups with the doctor to identify any fusion that can be taken care of in the office. RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Turbinate reduction or outfracture

Turbinate reduction or outfracture  is routinely done with  most septal surgeries. It is commonly a problem because when the septum is deviated then the turbinates usually are inflamed on the opposite side. If your surgeon is not able to address them at the same time then you should find someone else. It does not sound like that person is comfortable or familiar performing many functional rhinoplasties 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Turbinate reduction

in most of the rhinoplasties I do I perform a turbinate reduction at the same because it helps significantly with breathing. Unless they are repairing a septal perforation at the same time there typically isn't a contraindication to fixing the turbinates. I would seek a second opinion from a facial plastic surgeon who is accustomed to fixing the turbinates at the same time as the rhinoplasty. Good luck!!!

Samir Undavia, MD
Princeton Facial Plastic Surgeon