Am I Eligible for Breast Reconstruction? (photo)

if i dont wear a bra i get a rash. there really arent any options for me as far as containing them. they fall out of bras, EVEN sprotsbras. i have to wear my bra so tight that i get chest pain, or the skin falls out of the bottom. since i lost more weight and the skin has worsened, i have to tuck the skin in, which has been making my breasts start to ooze and ducts swell, sometimes i think theyre infected cause i get weak and get the chills when they hurt. ive even been tested for prolactinoma.

Doctor Answers 12

Breast reconstruction?

I advise you to consult a board certified plastic surgeon concerning a dermal mastopexy, a breast lift which may be done by various techniques. This may conserve breast tissue to maintain volume, or size, at the same time reducing the excess skin cover to keep from spilling out.

South Bend Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Breast reconstruction is for mastectomy patients

Breast reconstruction is for people who have undergone breast resection for cancer or prevention.  You do not qualify for breast reconstruction.  However, you may benefit from breast reduction if they are too large.  Your breasts appear too droopy and you need a breast lift, which is not covered by insurance.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 223 reviews

Breast surgery

You are an ideal candidate for a mastopexy and probably do not even need implants.  A mastopexy takes about two hours and there is not much pain post operatively.  However, it would not be considered a reconstructive procedure if you were hoping to have insurance pay for it.  They will consider it a cosmetic surgery.  Nonetheless you are a great candidate and should look into it further.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Weight loss and breast lift

If you need a breast lift this is not a covered procedure. You will have to pay for a lift yourself. Good luck.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Body contouring breast surgery after significant weight loss

Your posted photos show a lot of extra breast skin with the breast tissue itself at the bottom of this large envelope of skin. As you mentioned in a bra all the extra skin is bunched up or folded over to fit into your bra. All of the breast skin looks intact. If you have recurrent rashes or skin breakdown due to this documented in your medical records the corrective surgery would be covered by health insurance. Unfortunately most patients do not get these rashes or areas of skin breakdown so the procedures are not covered. The best option of course is removal of the extra skin (a breast lift). Since your right breast is larger than the left you will need some breast tissue removed at the time of surgery. Because the skin has lost its elasticity removal of breast tissue at the time of the lift is recommended to lower the risk of recurrent drooping.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Triple cleavage

With large weight losses, it is common to get very droopy breasts with excess skin leading to multiple cleavage folds when a bra is worn.

The solution is a breast lift or reduction mammoplasty, depending upon the desired final volume. 

Please note that in both operations skin is removed and the nipple is transposed to a higher position.

Breast reconstruction usually follows mastectomy for cancer.

J. Brian Boyd, MD
Rolling Hills Estates Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Eligible for Breast Reduc? #breastimplants

You do not fall into the category of breast reconstruction. We commonly talk about breast reconstruction for women who have had some large portions of breast tissue removed or a mastectomy for cancer. You would be a great candidate for either a reduction if you want to be smaller or a breast lift if you want more rejuvenated breasts. If you desire more upper pole volume it might be recommended to you by a board certified plastic surgeon to place a breast implant and have a lift. Of course that would make you slightly larger but the breasts would be carried much higher on the chest wall. You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and I think you will find that you have ample options to help you out. Most of the procedures I have mentioned would not be covered by insurance with the exception of breast reduction which may or may not be covered.

Richard J. Brown, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Fix my breasts? (photos)

In agreement with other responders, breast reduction-lift would offer you immense relief.  You would feel and look better.  Breast reconstruction is that category of procedures indicated after partial or complete loss of one or both breasts, usually to ablative surgery for breast cancer.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

Breast Reconstruction

By looking at your pictures, it seems you would be a great candidate for Breast Lift surgery, which is not covered by insurance. Insurance with cover Breast Reduction with very strict criteria. I would schedule an appointment with a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation. The information would need to be submitted to your insurance to determine if coverage applies to your case.

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Eligibility for breast reconstruction

It sounds like you have symptoms that a breast lift will help relieve.  However, whether this is considered a "covered procedure" by your insurance company is a decision that they will make.  Some insurance companies do not cover any type of breast reduction surgery...others may be compelled by a persuasive letter from your doctor and a plea from you(the policy holder).

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.