Birthmark above my lips. Is there a procedure to get rid of this birthmark/flat mole/ hyperpigmentation area? (photos)

I went to the dermatologist and they gave a cream to make it lighter and less visible but it gets lighter than darker and visversa. He took a piece of skin from that section and said laser surgery might work but then again it might come back. He also said this flat light brown birthmark might be deeper than it looks so thats why they were skeptical of cutting the pigmented area by insicion. I wan't born with it, but throughr life it has grown and now its just that size around 6-7 mm.

Cafe Au Lait or Beckers Nevus / BirthMark -- Tattoo Laser Treatment

Lasers and tattooing may help. Please see another expert if you're unhappy with your treatment. Best, Dr. Emer