Can laser hair removal still be done on the facial area if the stubble has gone gray or not?

Up to what point can the diodide laser be used on the facial area in order to do laser hair removal? can someone please tell me. thank you.

Aser hair removal on gray hair

Laser hair removal works on brown or black hair only.  Blonde, white, red or even gray hair doesn't have enough pigment to attract the heat of the laser which goes down in to the hair follicle and destroys the root.Gray hair can be removed temporarily by waxing or dermaplaning (the process of 'scraping' the hair at the surface with a #10 blade.)  At our practice our medical aesthetician is certified in dermaplaning made famous by the "Micro-Peel" and in advanced waxing techniques.  For a permanent fix electrolysis works in weekly appointments.Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Thanks for your query. If you have just few grey hairs that can be taken care of with the machines present but if it’s a bunch of it then it’s a little difficult as the laser hair removal machine works on the principle of selective photothermolysis and targets the melanin so if there is no melanin, therefore no reaction. The diode machines are manufactured by many companies and all have different settings.The exact limit your treating doctor can tell. Hope it Helps
All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Laser hair removal on gray hair

I won't work for gray hair. The laser attacks pigment and gray hair is loss of pigment. Only electrolysis works. Miradry is working on microwave technology to treat gray hair and currently this can be done for underarm hair.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser hair removal for gray hair

Since the target for laser hair removal is the pigment in the hair follicle, gray hair (which is hair that has lost some or all of it's pigmentation) does not respond well.  There may be some improvement if the hair is "dark grey", but generally not enough to warrant the time and expense

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

LHR usually does not work on gray hair.

Unfortunately laser hair removal does not work on grey, blonde or red hair.  All lasers have to have a target: either pigment, blood or water.  In the case of laser hair removal, the target is pigment. The laser works by following the pigment down into the follicle.  The laser heats the follicle and destroys its ability to generate additional hair.  Gray hair lacks pigment so the laser cannot “locate” it’s target. If you dye your hair, the pigment does not get down into the root so that is unlikely to change the outcome.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Laser Hair Removal -- Seek an Expert

Rarely can gray hair can be removed by laser. If you are a candidate, I have patients do every 4 weeks for the first 3 times and then every 4-6 weeks for 3 times after. It takes a series of treatments for improvement in hair reduction. I suggest you see a board certified dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer