Voluma followed later by fat transfer?

If I have voluma in my cheeks is it then safe to have fat transfer done say 6 months later? I am contemplating fat transfer to the face but in the short term was thinking about voluma as I have an event I wanted to look good for coming up.

Fat Transfer after Voluma

If the surgeon to perform the fat transfer is the same as the injector who performed the voluma, then it can be planned properly. However, if you did not consult with the surgeon prior to the voluma treatment, then you would be best to wait until voluma wears off. 

Fat less predictable but more permanent

Thank you for the great question. Using fillers is a good way to "test the waters" to see if you like the look they achieve. However, because Volume can last for up to 2 years, my opinion would be to wait until the Voluma is all gone before proceeding with the fat transfer. The benefits of the fat transfer is that it tends to be more permanent and it's your own tissue. The down side is that the procedure is more invasive and the amount of "take" is still unpredictable. In my experience about 50-75% of the transferred fat volume remains long term. I hope this helps and best of luck in your area!

Fat Transfer to Face, Can You Tell? Is it Safe With Voluma?

Fillers and fat can be layered without a problem in most cases. I suggest you see an expert for treatment options.  Best, DR. Emer.

Voluma followed later by fat transfer

Thank you for sharing your question.  If you want to pursue a more permanent solution through fat-grafting I would first recommend dissolving the Voluma with hyaluronidase for quicker resolution, or allowing it to dissolve naturally, as a more accurate determination as to the amount of fat needed for your facial rejuvenation can be obtained.  I hope this helps

Voluma and then Fat Transfer

Thank you for your question. You are absolutely fine to do this, however, you may want to wait until the Voluma dissipates prior to having your fat transfer; or, you can have your surgeon dissolve it prior to performing the fat transfer. The reason for this is because you should likely start with a clean slate, so your surgeon can better determine how much fat is needed to have you achieve your desired look. If you still have Voluma in place, then there is a potential for you to be undertreated with fat (because you will look more full than you actually are). Best of luck! 

Fat transfer after Voluma

There is nothing medically wrong with doing fat transfer 6 months later, but if I were the physician performing it, I would wait until your Voluma was gone and work with a clean slate. Otherwise later, as the Voluma goes away, you will have unaccounted volume loss in the area. So it's really best when doing anything like this to allow anything that was added to go away, so your physician can see what they are working  with."This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Voluma & Fat Transfer

While Voluma can be a great way to "test the waters", the results do last for about 2 years. In general, I'd advise most patients to wait until the Voluma wore off before moving on to fat transfer. However, if the same surgeon is going to do both then consult with he or she about the pros and cons of layering the procedures. Hope this helps. 

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer after Voluma

You have a great question since using Voluma first is a nice way to see if you like volume enhancement before you commit to fat transfer.  I would check with the plastic surgeon who you are consulting for the fat transfer about how long you should wait after Voluma placement.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Voluma will rejuvenate the appearance of the face and continue to provide a lift for the cheeks for up to two years. As such, I recommend you remain patient through and past the 6 months period and discuss your treatment plan in person with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat is less predictable and not reversible

I have experience with doing fat transfers as I used to do them often before Sculptra and Voluma became FDA approved in the USA.   I no longer do fat transfers because the down time is greater, and the results are less predictable.  The reason for this is that the surgeon could lay down a beautiful thin layer of fat but if the patient's body doesn't do a perfect job creating the new blood vessels to sustain the fat, it dies and it is reabsorbed.  This can lead to an uneven "take".  A series of transfer procedure is the norm. There is a lot more swelling and down time with fat transfers compared to other options.  I have seen fat transfers done by plastic surgeons in my regions, where the patient was unhappy with where the fat was and how it looked, but it cannot be easily reversed.  The option for them to decide on is whether to have it excised or not.With Voluma, it works on everyone; it stays put where it is placed.  There is no need to mold it etc so a patient cans sleep without worries of it moving or changing shape.  There is no need for it to obtain a blood supply, and it is reversible if the need arises.  There is very little downtime for the procedure.  More can be added at any time.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon