Am I a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck? I'm 41, 5'7 and 155 pounds. I have lost 110 through diet and exercise (Photos)

My gut won't go away, it's been stretched to the max. Will a Tummy Tuck and some lipo help me? Will my tummy actually be flat/semi flat after this procedure or am I a lost cause?

Great TT Candidate

Hello, congratulations in your weight loss! That is amazing! You are an ideal candidate for the procedure.With a hip to hip or  maybe a circular incision you would do great. The abdominal muscle wall will be repaired and the extra skin will be removed. If you desire you might have liposuction in your waist and flanks so you can achieve a beautiful hourglass figure, which is so appealing. 

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey!

Respectfully, 

Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon 

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate for a TT

Far more important than deciding if a tummy tuck is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!The best clients are patients who are healthy but have EXCESS SKIN OR FAT that does not respond to diet and exercise. Patients who have undergone SIGNIFICANT WEIGHT LOSS and have hanging skin. Women with loose skin and stretch marks FOLLOWING PREGNANCY, as in your case. Anyone with LOSS OF SKIN ELASTICITY. Patients who are unable to tighten the abdominal wall with exercise. If you have loose or sagging abdominal wall skin; often associated with relaxation of the anterior abdominal wall muscles (frequently secondary to multiple pregnancies)

You are an ideal TT candidate!

Assuming you don't smoke and don't have significant medical problems, you appear to be a wonderful candidate for tummy tuck. Based on an in-person exam, decisions would be made about length of incision, need for liposuction and muscle repair. I would expect you to obtain a wonderful result. 

Best of luck

Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss

Congrats on your weight loss.  You may actually need a circumferential procedure like a lower body lift based on your photos.  See a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this special area of plastic surgery for a good exam and recommendations.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Good candidate for Tummy Tuck?

Hi Mer001,

Thank you for your questions and photos. Without being able to see you in person and do a physical exam, it is impossible to be absolutely certain, but I can give you my best advice based on your photos. You appear to be a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck but may potentially need and extended tummy tuck due to your weight loss.   

The ideal candidate for a tummy tuck procedure: 

1. Has had a stable weight for 6-12 months
2. Is at a weight that they are happy with and that they are able to maintain
3. Is not planning to have more children.
4. Has a good support system that will be there for them both before and after the procedure 5. Is financially stable and able to afford the procedure
5. Is emotionally stable and considering a procedure to make themselves feel better, not for someone else
6. Has realistic expectations for their result
7. Willing to have an open dialog with your surgeon about any questions that you may have about anything during the tummy tuck process 

You would likely benefit quite a bit from some contouring liposuction of the flanks to enahance your waist.  Your abdomen would be flattened tremendously, but it is impossible to estimate how much without a physical exam. The majority of your stretch marks will be removed and the belly button will be re-inserted for a very natural result.  

I would encourage you to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who has experience and expertise in body contouring who had many before and after photos of tummy tuck results that you like so that you can discuss your treatment options.  I hope this helps.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck needed for loose skin

A tummy tuck is a wonderful procedure that consists of 3 main elements:

• Skin removal
  • Fat removal
  • Muscle repair

Every individual has a different shape, so, every tummy tuck is customized for that person.  Based on the limited photos I would recommend an extended abdominoplasty removing not only abdominal skin and fat, but skin and fat in the hips and into the back.

An absolute game changer in the past 3 years is the use of Exparel during a tummy tuck.  This is a long acting local anesthetic that reduces the pain and discomfort for 3-4 days after a tummy tuck.  This has sped up recovery, decreased the use of narcotics and reduced complications.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for the best possible results.

Good Luck! 

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck? I'm 41, 5'7 and 155 pounds. I have lost 110 through diet and exercise

First of all, congratulations on the weight loss, that is tremendous. As to being flat, you likely have a certain amount of fat inside your abdomen, what we call visceral fat. The degree of muscle tightening that can be performed and the degree of flattening you will achieve is controlled by that amount of fat. It is impossible for me to tell from a picture how large or small the amount of fat is. I think you will certainly be significantly flatter and I think the surgery is worth proceeding with but you will likely not have a perfectly flat stomach when finished.

Julio Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy Tuck

Great Question! Your pictures look like you would be a great candidate for an extended abdominoplasty. Since you have lost so much weight you might even consider doing a T/F/B Lift (Thigh/Flank/Buttock Lift) with your tummy tuck. This would help your overall shape getting as much loose skin and fat taken away. You are NOT a lost cause! You will look great after surgery! Get a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and start getting ready! Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture full TT with lipo will give good results or circumferential TT may work. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation and to discuss your goals.