Wil Injecting fat help rippling in breast augmentation?

I have had breast augmentation over the muscle. I can feel rippling through out both my breast. I followed up with my Surgeon and he suggested harvesting far from another area of my body and injecting it on my breast. Will this resolve the problem?

Correction of rippling after breast augmentation

I'm sorry to hear of your current circumstance.  Based on the brief background information you provided, one can not definitively tell you your best option to resolve the rippling.  With that being said, there are a few global thoughts to how rippling can be improved/resolved.

1.  Convert above the muscle implants to under the muscle.  This is my preferred placement for implants (under the muscle) unless a patient presents with a unique anatomical issue/concern.
2.  During reoperation for rippling, the surgeon needs to advise the patient of implant volume changes to improve the end result (large implants can stress the soft tissues potentially creating rippling due to the weight and drag/pull of the implants).
3.  Fat grafting and potential use of acellular dermal matrix (ADM) may be necessary to help resolve rippling.  The grafted fat can have some resorption and thus may require repeat grafting to the areas of rippling.  
4.  Suturing (tightening) of the implant pocket may be necessary to improve the rippling.  

In order to address your concerns, please be sure to be evaluated and treated by a board-certified plastic surgeon.  After clinical examination, the surgeon should be able to provide you an operative plan that best suits your needs.  It may require all of the above options or a particular combination.

I wish you the best.

R. Clark Mooty, MD

Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Can fat transfer be an effective treatment for breast implant rippling?

In our practice, we start 200 new patients a year on their breast reconstruction after mastectomy journey.  By necessity, the soft tissues covering the breast implants is thin, most of these patients experience rippling and contour defects. Because of these factors fat transfer is used in a large percentage of these patients. In our experience, both the patient and surgeon's expectations are met. The results even after one fat transfer are sufficient to satisfy in most cases. The limiting factor usually is the limit amount of fat available for transfer.

For cosmetic patients, who haven't undergone a mastectomy rippling isn't as common. Especially when silicone implants are placed under the muscle (the most common technique in our office). Typically, the tissue hides the implants well and rippling isn't as common. And, silicone implants have less of a tendency to ripple.  If a patient chose to do a saline implant or wanted the implant placed above the muscle rippling might be noticeable. If so, yet, fat transfer is effective in treating rippling of the implants.

Charles W. Spenler, MD
Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Rippling after breast augmentation

Photos would help visualize the degree of rippling you have. A full examination would aid in determining the best course to correct the deformity. With mild rippling and if you have enough tissue, fat grafting can thicken the amount of tissue surrounding the implant and camouflage the rippling. Often, changing the implant to under the muscle and using a mesh is necessary.

Fat grafting can help

Fat grafting can help mask rippling after a breast augmentation.
It may need to be repeated as fat may not take and cover all the rippling.

Rippling is related to having thin soft tissue coverage.  Sometimes fat can improve this or an ADM....

Thank you for your question.  Fat transfer is one of several options to treat rippling of your breasts by camouflaging the deformity.  The other options included placing the implants under the muscle, switching to different implants with less rippling, and using acellular dermal matrix.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Rippling post sub glandular breast augmentation

Thanks for your question.  Fat grafting can definitely help camouflage an implant that is above the muscle and has rippling.  Fat is harvested from another area, processed, and injected into the breasts.  The success rate of this procedure is greatly dependent on the skill and experience of the surgeon performing the fat grafting.  Make sure that your surgeon has experience in order to maximize your results.  Best Regards.

Rippling after suprapectoral breast augmentation. Fat grafting?

Generally speaking if you have enough available donor fat you can expect improvement in the rippling that you feel with fat grafting.  Weight gain may also help.  This of course is one of the risks of placement of implants above the muscle (especially but not only saline implants or textured implants).  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV
Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD