When will I regain nipple sensitivity, is it normal?

Hello, It's been 13 days after my BA and I regained the nipple sensitivity on my right nipple about 4 days after my BA (if I remember correctly) but until now I haven't on my left side nipple. Is this normal? How much longer can it take? I'm kind of worried, I think it's been too long after my BA to not have gained my left nipples sensibility. I had 290cc silicone unders. Hope someone can better explain to me if this is normal and how long after its not. Thank you so much beforehand.

Nipple Sensitivity post op

Thank you for the question.  You're still about 2 weeks in your recovery stage so it is still early.  Your body should take around 8-12 weeks to heal and it is important to know that there are cases where both breasts don't heal or settle at the same time. Just give it more time and if you're still worried about it, you can go to your surgeon and have a check up.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Nipple sensitivity after breast aug

Thank you for your question. A significant or partial decrease of nipple sensitivity is common following a breast augmentation. Sensitivity usually comes back within three months, however, the recovery of the nerves from the trauma of the surgery can take up to two years. Light massaging and appropriate care instituted by your surgeon will help. Be patient and congratulations on your surgery!

Sean T. Lille, MD

When will I regain nipple sensitivity?

Hi, Newgirls19.

Although there is a very small chance that nipple sensation may never return on the left nipple, most sensation will return in a year.  Since your surgery was only 2 weeks ago, try to be patient.
Good luck with your recovery.

Nipple sensation

It is quite common for each breast to heal at its own rate. Nipple sensitivity should return, but it could take anywhere from 3-6 months. For now, don't worry. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Nipple Sensation

The nerves that supply sensation to the nipples are small and can vary slightly in location from patient to patient.  In general, if the nerve to the nipple is stretched or bruised during any breast procedure, there can be temporary loss of sensation for up to 6 months and feeling gradually returns. If the nerve is cut or disrupted in any way, there can be permanent loss of sensation and fortunately that is infrequent. Given your surgery was only two weeks ago, chances are you will have return of sensation on the left side over the next several months.

Return of nipple sensation

Thank you for your question. You should regain full sensation after breast augmentation. Usually there is temporary loss of sensation or even hyper-sensation. This will all settle out over 3-6 months. Best of luck and congrats on your recent surgery.

- Dr. Bryson Richards, Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon

It is common to regain sensation in one breast sooner than the other following a breast surgery. It can in some cases take anywhere from 3 months or longer to regain sensation, or for over sensitivity to subside.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Nipple sensation

In my experience, it can take up to a year for nipple sensation to normalize. I would be worried any weeks if the sensation is not 100%. Sometimes a gentle massage with texture like in a washcloth can help sensation to return earlier. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Nipple sensitivity

At only 13 days postop it is actually very, very early. It may take a year or even a bit longer than that for the normal sensation to come back. No reasons to be worried. 

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon