Do I need a neck lift or Botox for a sharper jawline? (photos)

How to Get A Sharper Jawline

A sharper jawline basically is a neck improving decision. Neck Lift is a general term relating to procedures that will improve your neckline. There are many possibilities so picking the best neck lift treatment(s) for optimal improvement is most important. A board certified plastic surgeon with a special interest and substantial experience in neck lift and lower face lift surgery is the place to start. The reason for a plastic surgeon is that he/she can offer all possible options and tell you specifically which ones are best for you.
The best recommendations to improve your neck appearance depend on your needs, desires, and most importantly an examination to determine the best procedure for you. Your plastic surgeon will evaluate you for five main features that will determine your best options for neck line improvement:
  1. Amount of excess fat typically found beneath the chin, and in the upper neck. This requires liposuction with small cannulas or direct removal especially if the fat is beneath the platysma muscle.
  2. Presence of Significant (Platysmal) Banding – this requires bringing the muscles together in the upper/mid neck to a more youthful position and occasionally their release. This procedure is called a platysmaplasty or platysma plication. Mild banding can be treated non- surgically with Botox or Dysport but this requires injections 3-4 times a year for maintenance.
  3. Amount of excess/redundant skin (cutis laxa) and condition of your skin. In advanced stages this is called a Turkey Waddle or Gobble deformity. For example, younger age, darker skin colors and no large weight loss history most likely means there will be better elasticity and therefore better post-surgical contraction. In milder cases if not too much fat is present there will be enough skin shrinkage with just lipo alone. Mild to minimal skin tightening using non-surgical means like the Sciton Laser SkinTyte procedure, Ultherapy or Thermage could also be considered. My personal preference for non-surgical skin tightening of the neck is the Sciton Laser BBL SkinTyte® procedure as there is no down time, more comfortable procdure, is effective and is a more targeted treatment. For redundant upper and mid excess neck skin: I prefer the LiteLift® (lower facelift ) procedure or MACS for skin re-draping for mild to moderate excess skin management as there are minimal scars and the skin is lifted vertically allowing for minimal hidden scars resulting in a natural appearance “non pulled” appearance. However: for moderate to severe skin redundancy , a neck lift or traditional lower facelift (e.g.Lite Lift®, MACS and others) is needed with or without lipo for best results. For advanced Turkey Waddle correction wither a traditional facelift or posterior neck lift often with a platysmaplasty is required with more extensive scars that extend at the hairline behind your ears. The advantage of a facelift procedure rather than a posterior neck lift is that your lower jawline (e.g. jowls and marionette lines) are also improved at the same time.
  4. Chin deficiency. If you have a weak chin then you will not have adequate chin support to your neckline skin which affects your entire neck line. Sometimes especially in younger individuals this is all that is required and this can be done in the office under local anesthesia. There are a number of different sizes and shapes and your plastic surgeon will pick the optimal one for you.
  5. Presence of prominent Digastric Muscles or Submandibular gland fullness from laxity or enlargement. Although not a major concern for most patients, if present then partial resection is usually the best solution.
In summary, picking the most qualified and best plastic surgeon with the most experience in neck improvement is essential to ensuring that you will have a wonderful and lasting result. It is the plastic surgeon’s ability to evaluate both your anatomical features and aesthetic goals to guide you to one or more neck lift procedures to give you the best neck line possible.

Jawline Options

Thank you for your question. It would be helpful to know more about your background (age, desires, needs, discomfort) to recommend a more exact procedure. You may be a candidate for injectable procedures, liposuction, or the Laser-Assisted Weekend Necklift, which combines a variety of different techniques. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift versus neck liposuction

The neck is a three-dimensional structure, so it is very difficult to give an opinion based  upon one photograph. If there is a small amount of fat above the platysma muscle in the neck, simple liposuction will suffice. When there is fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle in the neck, and patient's desire a very sharp delineated jawline, a platysma plasty is required. A platysma plasty is a component of the neck lift which also includes the fat removal in the neck. For many examples and more information, please see the video and the link below

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

This area is best treated with VASER/ThermiRF for contouring and definition.  I suggest seeing an expert for treatment options, someone who specializes in facial sculpting.  I am not sure you need a neck lift at this time based on photos.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Do I need a neck lift or Botox for a sharper jawline

I think a smaller surgical intervention will lead to a better result over anything injectable

Julio Garcia, MD

Sharper jawline

I think you are a good candidate for liposuction to define your jawline. I use liposuction of the neck in the younger population to decrease the fullness under the jaw and contour the sides .Doesn't look like you need Botox.

Botox or Neck Lift?

Thank you for your question and photo. From Botox to neck lift is quite a range with other options in between that you might want to consider. Neurotoxins (Botox, Dysport) are terrific drugs with their predominant use in the upper face.. Over the last 10 years there has been an expanded use by experienced injectors of Botox in the lower face to help contour the face and as an adjunct often with fillers. That said the effect of Botox in the neck is much less powerful than we see in the upper face. In your photo it would be great to know the quality of your skin and the degree of subcutaneous fat. I would think  that submental liposuction or Kybella might be very good alternatives to either Botox or a neck lift from your photo. I don't think Botox will have a dramatic change in your jawline contour and the degree of laxity in your neck from the single photo seems mild. Submental liposuction or Kybella can contour the area beneath your chin and you can expect some skin tightening which would give you a wonderful result. Liposuction has the added benefit of contouring further out along your jawline while Kybella is usually used mostly centrally. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can review all of the options available to you. There are others so I would limit yourself to just neck lift or Botox
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD