What is this? Did my inframammary incision open? (photos)

Hi doctors I have noticed minimal yellowish-green drainage coming from the inframammary incision line on both my breasts but moreso the right! It isn't red but it hurts/sensitive if I touch. I went to see my PCP last week and she said to keep using Bacitracin unless it worsens she can prescribe an oral antibiotic. My surgeon is out of state hundreds of miles away! What do I do??

Draining open wound at "T" incision after lift with implants

Thank you for asking about your breast lift with implants.

Please contact your surgeon and tell him exactly what you have told us, and include the photos. Your surgeon is the one to advise you after surgery, even if he is far away. He is likely to want you to see a local plastic surgeon. Plastic surgery is a specialized field and your PCP cannot be expected to provide the care you need. 

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Opening

Thank you for the question and the photo and I would see another expert in the area and have that breast or both evaluated to make certain that the implant is not exposed.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

What is this? Did my inframammary incision open?

You need to contact your surgeon with these photos and your question. Usually this indicates a minor wound problem that will resolve on its own with a little wound care. If there are implants involved, there may be a more serious issue.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast lift incision open

The place where the vertical and horizontal incisions meet is an area of high tension which can open. It is usually treated with gauze changes. You should contact your surgeon and send him photos. You can also try to be seen by a local plastic surgeon.

Open incision?

It appears that you had a breast lift and implants.  You should contact your surgeon for instructions on how to manage this.  Those of us who have patients from out of town have experience in managing our patients using phone, email and, if needed, a local plastic surgeon.  I suspect your surgeon can do the same.  

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Incision0-\`

It did open and it is the most common place for that to happen. The blood supply is the weakest at that exact point where all the incisions meet. The discharge is normal. It will heal on its own if you keep it clean and covered. It sometimes can open more and look worse before it gets better. Best to see your surgeon so they can check it out for you. For your comfort it is very very rare than an open draining wound gets infected. If the breast skin begins to get hot and warm and red that would most likely mean infection. If it is just red around the edge of the open wound that is normal and not an infection. It is an inflammatory response and is normal. 

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Wound opening

This is not uncommon with this type of lift, since the spot where your wound opened has a lot of tension on it. Also, this spot has less blood flowing to it than other areas of the scar, meaning that healing can be more difficult. Unless your implant is exposed, this is usually a minor problem that corrects itself with dressing changes, antibiotic ointment, etc. The wound will pull itself together, and the cosmetic result is usually very good. It seems that there is tissue in the base of the wound, without implant exposure, but it can be difficult to be sure from the photos alone. Continue to apply the antibiotic ointment, and contact your surgeon with photos to obtain recommendations. Odds are that everything will be fine, but you must still be vigilant.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

What is this? Did my inframammary incision open

What you are seeing is common in patients after a breast lift because of the lesser blood supply in the skin at that location. What has been suggested to you is a wise move but you should also make plans to see your surgeon at your earliest available date so they can see what is transpiring

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast Lift / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Tuberous Breasts

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you schedule a Skype /face time follow up with your surgeon so he/she can recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time and refer you to someone locally to manage your follow up care if needed.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Delayed wound healing after breast reduction

Concerns about delayed wound healing after breast reduction surgery should be directed to the surgeon that performed the operation.