I'm only 18 and I don't like the way my left breast has developed while the right is like perfect. Why does this happen? (Photo)

Your Breasts Fall Within Normal Limits

Dear xxoxoo,
I would like to reassure you that you certainly fall within the normal limits for breast development. Having examined thousands and thousands of breasts, I will tell you that asymmetry is the norm, not the exception. Do not compare yourself to airbrushed models that you see in magazines. If you really object to the difference in nipple height a simple crescent lift on the right side going around the periphery of the areola from 8 o’clock to 4 o’clock would improve your symmetry. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Thank you for your question.  Almost every woman is slightly asymmetrical.  Your asymmetry is only slightly beyond the usual range and should not bother you.  However, if you want to correct it, you really should wait until you're a couple of years older because your breasts may still be growing.  If your breasts stay the same, it seems all you will need will be a donut lift on the right side to bring it closer to the left side which you like.  Best of luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Why is one different than the other?

Thank you for your question and photos. Breast asymmetry is not only common - it is the norm. Everyone's breasts (along with arms, legs, eyes, ears and everything else!) are at least slightly asymmetric but there is a spectrum of severity. Based on the submitted photos you have mild asymmetry with your right side appearing to be slightly more droopy than the left. Although a lift type procedure could be done on the droopy side to improve it you would have to strongly consider if the scarring is 'worth it.' I would suggest a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon so your specific concerns can be gone over in detail, a physical exam be performed, and individualized recommendations be made. Good luck!

Asymmetric breast at 18 years old

Hi XO,

Thanks for your question and photos. It is really hard to tell exactly why things turned out this way for you. An in person examination may help answer your question. But ALL women have some asymmetry and no two breast are completely identical. Sometimes masses, or genetics cause asymmetries. They are fairly close. It can be corrected surgically but based on your age, I would wait until after kids before seeking correction as a correction means at least a one side breast lift that will leave your breast with a scar on one side and not the other. But if it bothering you, then it certainly can be corrected in about an hour. Please seek an examination from a board certified plastic surgeon to see all your options. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@breastlift @asymmetries 
facebook @breastdoctor
twitter @docmata
instagram #drcarlosmata

Asymmetry breasts/Accessory breasts

Your breasts are normal. Symmetrical breasts may not exist or are extremely rare. 

Your right breast is slightly lower than your left. You have a right side bulge in your armpit which could be caused by an accessory breast which increases asymmetry of your breasts.

Both the slightly lower right breast and the accessory breast with surgery could be improved. If you wish you could discuss your options with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  

Charles W. Spenler, MD
Torrance Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of the breasts

Thank you for your question. You actually have a very normal degree of asymmetry. I like to tell patients breasts are sisters, not twin and most women have asymmetry. If you wanted better symmetry,  you could have a lift and augmentation. The reson for the lift is simply to make your nipple position more equal bilaterally and give better shape to the right dide. The augmentation would assist is making the size more equal and assist is shaping the right. The problem is this is a lot of work and you will still have some degree of asymmetry and now you are adding scars to your breasts. It is also going to make you a larger cup Suze which you may or may not want. It really depends on how much this normal amount of asymmetry bothers you. If it concerns you enough, have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and see after exam, what options may work for you.

Breast asymmetry

No two breasts are exactly the same.  If you wan the lower one lifted, then it is possible to do so for you. Best of luck.

You have a normal amount of asymmetry. Very few women have identical looking breasts. If you feel something different on one side versus the other, then I would suggest a breast exam by a physician. Good luck!

Breast aymmetry

Thanks for your inquiry and an excellent question.  Each breast mound is distinct and separate.  Most women have some asymmetry and the amount you have is not uncommon.  I suggest you first see your primary care doctor and be examined.  On occasion a woman can have a cyst, benign mass, etc that is causing one breast to be larger or heavier-see your doctor.  If that is not the case then at age 18 you may expect even further changes to your breast that will affect the symmetry.  If you are seeking greater symmetry discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon your options, good luck.  

Uneven breasts, accessory breast tissue.

Hi there, 

You have normal breasts, but with some mild asymmetry.  The right side is just a little lower than the left.

But, I think a fair bit of the problem might be that you have some asymmetric accessory breast tissue, more bulky on the right.  This creates a lump at the top right front of your armpit, and it exaggerates the breast asymmetry you have.

It's easily fixable through a small operation.

My sens is that if it were fixed, your breasts would look more even, and the right side look more like the left.

Have a chat with your parents, if you're comfortable to do that, and you could start by talking with your family doctor to seek advice around treatment options.

All the very best,

Howard Webster
Plastic Surgeon