Should I be worried? Do you think I will need surgery? What's going on? (photos)

I had lift and augmentation on 7/6/16. I have a whole diwn the incision that I know is common. However, I'm worried about the white part bulging out and also the darkness and blood on th incision thats horizontal. I sent this image to my PS and he wants to see me Monday morning and told me to prep for surgery just in case needed. He also called in an antibiotic for the weekend to be sure. Do you think i will need surgery? What's going on? Should I worry?

Should I be worried? Do you think I will need surgery? What's going on?

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation/lifting surgery. Your concerns are certainly understandable but nothing will replace in-person evaluation when it comes to determining how serious the complication is. If the problem is superficial separation of the incision lines,  my level of concern would be relatively low;  these types of problems tend to resolve  with dressing changes. On the other hand, if there is an exposure of the underlying implant, the problem is much more serious and may require breast implant removal.  Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes.

BREAST LIFT HEALING

In your photos it shows that you have a wound dehiscence and you may need surgery to close the wound and you will have a better scar and faster recovery. Follow your surgeon instructions, it is important to take the antibiotics and keep the wound clean.

Should I be worried after breast lift and augmentation?

Hello Curiouslywaiting,I'm so sorry that you are going through this after having such a big procedure.  I can understand how worried you are!  You have a serious issue and definitely are experiencing a complete breakdown of your incision.  You will almost certainly need a further procedure(s) - whether that requires a major procedure under anesthesia or a series of smaller wound clean-up procedures will be up to your surgeon's judgement after they are able to examine you.  Follow up with your surgeon as soon as possible, follow all of their instructions and if you experience increasing redness, pain, wound discharge, fever, or are just becoming more concerned go to the emergency room. Best wishes in your ongoing recovery!

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon