Why I am weighing much more post Tummy Tuck?

I had my tt on January 17 2016. Last week I weighed 81 kilos. I am certainly swollen but I weigh now 88 kilos. Is that normal. Am not eating much I am post bariatric patient already. I had a hemoglobin problem post tt and had blood transfer and iron supplements at hospital plus all what am eating is to.promote hemoglobin like black honey liver spinach bananas etc . thnx

Increase in weight after tummy tuck surgery

Fluid retention after such a large procedure is usually normal and nothing to be concerned.  It can take many months for the swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and you can expect to see fluctuations in your weight during this recovery time.  Be patient and follow your surgeons post operative guidelines.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Gaining Weight after tummy tuck

It is not abnormal to retain fluid following a tummy tuck procedure. The surgery is a long procedure and you are given a significant amount of fluids through your IV. This, in addition to your blood transfusion, will result in fluid retention that may take up to two weeks to "lose" following your surgery. 

Robyn Watts, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Gaining Weight after tummy tuck

Robyn Watts, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after tummy tuck

Congratulations on your recent tummy tuck.
Most patients gain some weight following tummy tuck for couple weeks.  Our body retains water for the first couple weeks; then, it will start getting rid of fluid in ensuing weeks. 
Please follow up with your plastic surgeon to make sure that your progress/recovery is as expected.

Weight gain after tummy tuck

Fluid shifts following tummy tuck

Fluid retention following a tummy tuck can be significant as your body responds to the trauma of surgery and attempts to heal itself. The first thing that happens is your small blood vessels dilate and become leaky to increase blood flow and allow white blood cells, oxygen, and other nutrients to get to the site of injury and begin repair. This is called the inflammatory phase of healing and the effect is system wide, causing swelling even in your hands and feet sometimes. The fluid shifting from your blood vessels into the tissues can be voluminous, resulting in significant weight gain during the first 2-3 weeks after surgery, followed by fluid mobilization and loss. This is why we recommend so often during the post-op period that patients focus on staying hydrated. In a nut shell, don't worry, the fluid will come off and you will lose the weight.

Trenton C. Jones, MD
Orem Plastic Surgeon

Fluid shifts following tummy tuck

Trenton C. Jones, MD
Orem Plastic Surgeon