I'm 6 weeks post op and feeling great, but I want to know when I can get back into soccer and stationary bike at the gym

i have a mild swelling from the lipo , and some tingling in the nipple .

Exercise After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi... You should speak with your surgeon about what he wants and doesn't want you to do after your procedure.  This is because what you do will depend on what exactly he did.  In general, I allow my gynecomastia patients to start working out after 3 weeks.  I ask them to wear a compression vest for 6 weeks.  I ask them to avoid chest exercise for 8 weeks.  Speak with your surgeon for the best answer to your question.  Good luck.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Returning to sport after gynecomastia surgery…

I am glad to hear that you are doing well after having undergone gynecomastia corrective surgery. Recovery after gynecomastia can vary for each patient depending on exactly what was done in each case. Generally, patients are asked to avoid strenuous activity and heavy-lifting or about 4-6 weeks (2-3 months may be advisable for sports that may involve contact or testing of the ball). This decreases risks of complications. However, patients can exercise within 2-4 weeks, focusing on other areas, like the lower extremities. My patients are asked to wear a compression vest or garmet to help minimize swelling and provide support for at least 4 weeks. 

Consult your plastic surgeon to determine whether or not you are ready for more activity. Best wishes.

When to return to exercise post gynaecomastia surgery

That is great to hear that you are doing well after your surgery.  It is normally fine to return to soccer and the gym at six weeks post surgery but it is always best to check with your surgeon as there are different techniques for this surgery and recovery times may vary.

Alastair J. Platt, FRCS (plast)
Hull Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from Gynecomastia Surgery and Activity

After your #Gynecomastia #surgery, bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing.

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. However, you must have your doctor's approval before you begin any workout regimen.

When to return to Exercise after Surgery?

Congratulations on your recent surgery and smooth recovery.  Generally I allow my patients to return to aerobic activity between 3-6 weeks after surgery.  It would be best for you to check with your Plastic Surgeon for clearance.  Best of Luck.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Resuming Exercise After gynecomastia Surgery

You should get clearance from your surgeon who knows you best. For my patients, I want them to wait 6 weeks before resuming formal exercise. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

6 week post op

Hello and thank you for your question. Getting back into working out after having surgery is something everyone is eager to do. Talking with your surgeon is the best way to set up a plan on when you can start doing so. Everyone heals differently so it could differ from person to person. Six weeks post op is usually around the time when sitting on a stationary bike and doing some light walking would be okay, but again this is something you want to discuss with your surgeon before doing so. Good luck with the rest of your healing.

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon