My tummy is swelling and is very hard; is this normal?

I'm seven weeks post Tummy tuck and lipo. I feel that the results of the operation was better in the first couple of weeks. These days in addition to the numbs I currently have; My tummy is very swilling as if I'm 5 months pregnant and it is very hard in the area from below my breasts till the bikini line. When I asked my doctor over the phone he told me that this was normal and I shouldn't worry. My appointment with him is in two weeks time. Is this normal? Should I wait for more time?

Swelling following tummy tuck surgery

Hi, thank you for your question. Normally the swelling takes 4-6 months and can extend up to 1 year. Recovery for every individual are always different Contact your certified plastic surgeon if you are very concerned about this. 

Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Swelling

After a #tummytuck surgery, #swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year.

If you have concerns, please contact your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon so you may be examined in person.

Post-operative swelling following tummy tuck

7 weeks after surgery is still considered fairly early in the recovery process following a tummy tuck.  I generally tell patients to expect some degree of swelling for at least 6 months, sometimes up to one year.  Wearing some form of compression garment or binder can help with the swelling, as well.  What you see today will certainly not be the "final" result.  Definitely give it more time.  At your next appointment, just make sure you express your concerns to your physician.  In that way, they can help better guide you through the recovery process so you know what to expect and this will limit your anxiety. 

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. The episodic swelling may persist for up to a year, so don't be discouraged. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Hi. Those are not your final results. After 30 years of performing tummyt tucks, I know that the swelling can last up to a year. Don't fret. Your story is very similar to many other patients. They wake up with flat abdomen and by the end of the day, after work, the abdomen is distended.

Dr. PG