Labiaplasty pain?

Do i feel pain while or after doing the labiaplasty surgery?

Pain During & After Labiaplasty

Local anesthesia, usually done in the office. Since you are awake, you will feel some discomfort just with the local anesthesia injection. Applying numbing cream for 30 mins ahead of time will make it more comfortable. The actual operation does not hurt.

Local and conscious sedation (aka ‘twilight’, MAC) or general anesthesia. If you and your surgeon opt for this deeper anesthesia, you won’t feel pain.

After surgery, ice packs and a short course of prescription pain medication will make you quite comfortable and most women don’t find this surgery terribly painful. Typically, you are sore and tender for a few weeks but not in serious pain.

Pain During and After Labiaplasty

Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in under one hour with a local anesthetic. Local anesthetic will likely keep the pain away completely, but there is always a chance of some slight feeling. Many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anesthetic, and if you would then just make sure to let your surgeon know. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. As far as pain after surgery, bruising and swelling after #Labiaplasty are usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Activities that would place any pressure on the area should be avoided for 4-6 weeks until the swelling subsides, as that would bring on pain as well. Best of luck to you!

Afterwards, yes, there is some pain, depending on the technique

There is definitely some pain after the surgery. If your doctor uses a delicate technique (which in my opinion can only be done if the extended wedge approach is used... Meaning NOT the trim) then you will have minimal pain after the surgery. If your doctor uses local anesthesia only (I almost always use IV sedation) then yes you will have some pain during the surgery as well.This should NOT be a painful process, especially the surgery. It should be easy to go through and the recovery should not be overly complex or painful. Don't be afraid to travel to have the surgery done if you can only find doctors who do the amputation method where you are.

Labiaplasty pain?

This all depends on how your plastic surgeon does the procedure. Some do this procedure just under local anesthesia. This means you will feel the needle and the medication burning as it is injected. Once the medication is working, you will not feel pain just pressure. If the procedure is done under IV sedation or general anesthesia, then you will not feel any discomfort during the surgery. Post surgery you will have discomfort, but you will be given pain medication. This pain lasts about 1-2 weeks and improves with each day.

Is a Labiaplasty Painful?

Labiaplasty is done with either general anesthesia or local anesthesia, so it isn't painful. In my practice, patients take an oral sedative and a pain pill before surgery, and the area is numbed with local anesthesia. Patients feel no pain, and they typically fall sleep during surgery. Only when a patient requests general anesthesia or if I'm doing a labiaplasty along with more extensive procedure, will I do labiaplasty under general anesthesia. Below is a link to a labiaplasty patient's journal about her experience, if you're interested.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Will there be pain with labiaplasty?

You should have no pain during a labiaplasty operation. I use a topical numbing cream which even prevents the pain of any local anesthesia injections. That way there is no pain at all. I also use some oral medications (Loazepam or Xanax along with Vicodin) at the time of surgery to reduce any anxiety and make the operation very easy for you. It is done right here in the office. I use a long lasting local anesthesia (bupivicaine or Marcaine) so that pain is minimized after the procedure. However, as with any operation, there will be some discomfort for the first few days. We ask that you do no exercise for ten days and limit any activity that put pressure in the groin area (such as riding a bicycle, motorcycle or horse or having intercourse) for six weeks after the operation. Most women are able to return to work after a few days.

Will there be pain during or after a labiaplasty procedure?

Whether you have a "general" or "local" anesthetic, you should feel NO PAIN during your surgery. The other side of the safety, convenience, and easier recovery of a "local" anesthetic is ~ 60 seconds of burning discomfort during the local injection only, which immediately goes away.

As for pain after surgery, the great majority of my patients tell me that "...it didn't hurt as much as I thought..." HOWEVER, the diminished pain is partly because I ask all of my patients to AUTOMATICALLY take a pain pill (hydrocodone 5-10 mg) plus ibuprofen(400 mg) with food BEFORE their local "wears off" and every 4 hours for 18-24 hours, then only as needed. If you "get right on the pain" by taking medication automatically in the very early recovery time, there will be far less pain ongoing. The weblink below compares the different types of labiaplasty incisions, which may be helpful for you.

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty is painless...in expert hands

Most labiaplasties in my practice are done under local and a few request to sleep through the procedure with intravenous sedation conducted by an anesthesiologist. Either way, the procedure is painless. I use a very precise technique with specialized microneedles and a long-acting  local anesthetic that provides pain relief for many hours after surgery. If your surgeon lacks experience with local anesthesia in this setting, then your experience may be different.

Labiaplasty pain?

Thank you for your excellent question.  Regardless of the type of anesthesia used for your labiaplasty you should not feel any pain during the procedure.  If only local anesthesia is used you may feel pressure on the tissues but not pain.  After the procedure patients have discomfort for the first couple of days but this quickly improves.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in labiaplasty surgery to maximize your results.