What kind of Labiaplasty do I need? (photos)

Im 25, As most of the girls here I really don't like the shape of my Vulva, and it's affecting my confidence and my life in general! And it's one of my biggest insecurities, and I never had sex before, is the color of the whole area normal? And the size of my labia majora it seems so small, and my biggest insecurity of them all is the length and color of my labia minora! Which method would be better in my case ( trim /wedge)? thank you.

You don't need a labiaplasty

as your genitalia appear very 'normal' without any extremes appreciated.  If you wish to improve the symmetry you have of your minora, you could entertain a labiaplasty but each method has its pros and cons and if you are only doing one side, a wedge would be better because your natural border will be maintained and both sides will look more alike.  You could have fat grafted to your majora if you don't mind having 'camel toes' as well.  In the end, you have very normal genitalia and I would not recommend a procedure without your specific concerns and goals made known.

What kind of Labiaplasty do I need?

You may opt to have surgery, but this is purely elective and not necessary.

Beverly Hills, CA

Insecure about my appearance

First, rest assured that you have completely normal anatomy. This area of the body has a large variance in appearance but is all considered 'normal.' That being said, if you have aesthetic concerns you may be a candidate to improve these areas if there is a reliable technique available and you have realistic expectations. I would recommend a formal consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon. good luck!

Labiaplasty:trim or wedge

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body.
Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations. Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections.
The doctor will examine you and determine the best option

Best Labial Technique TBD by Surgeon

Best to pick the Best Labial Surgeon rather than the best procedure - it is there job to guide you to the best procedure. That being said, a labial trim would probably be preferred due to the major pigmentation issue. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity. The most critical decision to be made in achieving the best plastic surgical result is picking the most experienced and talented, that is the best, plastic surgeon possible. Too often, patients choose a physician based on a catchy ad, the brand name of a technique, the basis of one or two before and after photos, or their web site’s search engine ranking. These criteria will not find the most experienced and talented plastic surgeon. See the below link for suggestions on finding the best labial surgeon.

Labia asymmetry and pigmentation

You have labia minora asymmetry and some pigmentation alongthe edge of both labia minora. Since the pigmentation is bothersome to you, a bilateral edge trim would probably be the best option. Your labia majora lack fat and you could consider fat grafting to the majora to plump up the area and further conceal the labia minora. 

Christine Hamori, MD

I Recommend...

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you have some minor asymmetry of the labia minora with the left being somewhat larger than the right.  Based on my understanding of your comments, I would recommend a trim-type of labiaplasty (because you implied that you do not like the darker pigmentation of the outer labia minora) with a fat graft to the labia majora to improve fullness.

Labiaplasty technique

In general full length labial reconstruction heals better than a wedge resection.  This would also address the hyperpigmentation.

Nathan Guerette, MD, FACOG
Richmond Urogynecologist

Type of labiaplasty

Hi.  Your labia majora looks normal.  Based on what you are saying, and looking at your pictures, a linear labia minora and clitoral prepuce reduction would be ideal. 

If you want a labiaplasty to remove dark skin that runs full length along the edge, you need to remove the full edge

The only approaches that can address full-length issues of the labia minora are linear contoured excisions. Wedge labiaplasties are done when the patient wants to preserve the natural edge color and texture. Miscommunication and misunderstanding of this very basic concept are the basis for most of the patient dissatisfaction with this technique even when perfectly executed. Full-length labial contouring, properly done, is more difficult to achieve and requires more expertise and artistic ability. Look for a very experienced surgeon. Your labia majora look completely normal.