Hair removal by laser on legs without shaving?

I had hair removal by candella gentle laser on my legs below knee 2 weeks ago, the doctor didnt ask me to shave my legs before the session and told me that it is not important ! Till this moment there are black spots allover my leg & just few hair fall out .. i want to know if the treatment wasnt effictive or it is normal ?? When all the hair fall out ??

Thanks for your question – always have a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon – we know more about these machines and how these procedures work.  We want your legs shaved – up to a day or so before the procedure to allow the light to get into the hair shaft and to allow the light to absorb the melanin within the hair shaft.  If it is absorbing all the light above the skin, it is really not doing its job. And remember, it takes more than one treatment to see significant results – 4-6 treatments may be needed on average.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Hair Removal -- Takes a series of treatments

One session won't make much of a difference. It takes several sessions of
lasers to prevent hair regrowth. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Shaving before LHR is necessary.

This is very important because the laser will vaporize the external hair and won't travel down the hair shaft to cause the hair to die. On some devices, the hair residue can collect on the head of the laser and this can cause burn injuries. I don't know if this is what has happened to you. You won't notice after one treatment much difference. Shaving is best done the same day of treatment.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Shaving before hair removal

It is recommended to shave 24-48 hours before the treatment. There is a risk of the hair burning and singeing the skin. So, it basically "sticks" to the skin. They will fall out (the ones that were affected by the laser), but try to exfoliate with a towel or a soft loofah and it will help get rid the hair. Good luck.