Is it capsular contracture?

Its been 2 months post operationn and everything was going allright. But a week ago my right breast has started to hurt and feel a bit wierd and firmer than the other one. I want to know what are the symptoms of capsular contracture and how can I get better

Exam Needed

If you have noticed a change in the breast appearance or discomfort you should see your Plastic Surgeon for evaluation in person.

All the best

Capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question.  Capsular contracture this soon after surgery would be unusual.  The scar tissue or capsule which is forming around the implant is still in the remodeling phase 2 months after surgery.  It's not unusual during this time for one implant to sit slightly higher or lower than the other.  Give your body some time to completely heal.  Don't hesitate to contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns. The symptoms of capsular contracture include thickening and hardening of the scar tissue or capsule around the implant. Overtime if this process continues, the scar tissue can  distort the breast and cause pain. There are not a lot of effective treatments for capsular contracture. The medication Singulair has been shown in some studies to slow this process in some patients. 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Capsular Contraction

Capsular Contraction is when the body forms more scar tissue then anticipated or "liked" it may destroy your breast and potentially become very painful.  There is evidence that Singular given post op may reduce risk. 

Is it capsular contracture?

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to say this early in your post op period.  It may be early signs of a capsular contracture and I recommend seeing your PS as soon as you can so he or she can treat it early. 

Chad Robbins, MD

Capsule

It would be unusual to form a capsule so soon after surgery with the implants today. However, scar tissue is forming as you heal. Please go back to your surgeon and discuss all your concerns. If needed, your surgeon can show you massaging techniques, prescribe medication, and even try ultrasound treatments to help.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

? capsular contracture

The symptoms that you are describing can be related to early capsular contracture development, but there are other things that can cause them. I strongly recomend that you go back to your surgeon for an evaluation. There are nonsurgical means to try to correct this if caught early enough.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Classification of Capsular Contracture.

You must be concerned about this and that is understandable.

In breast augmentation, capsular contracture refers to tightening of the scar tissue that normally forms around the implants resulting in hardened, painful, and abnormal looking breasts with varying degrees of severity. The capsule is fibrous tissue that naturally forms when anything foreign is placed in our body – this happens with heart devices as well. However, when there is too much inflammation, fluid collection, or bacterial contamination, the fibrous capsule can start to scar down further and contract.

There are 4 grades/levels of capsular contracture:

Grade I — the breast is normally soft and appears natural in size and shape

Grade II — the breast is a little firm, but appears normal.

Grade III — the breast is firm and appears abnormal.

Grade IV — the breast is hard, painful to the touch, and appears abnormal.

You can know about the capsular contracture using these classifications and applying them to your case. Note that you will always have to get anything checked with your plastic surgeon for accurate diagnosis as breasts can appear hard and tight early in the post-operative period. Even though one side of your breast is more firm, it may just be that the breasts are adapting to implants at different rates. In fact, it is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates.

In case you do have capsular contracture, but your breasts do not appear abnormal, or painful, then you do not require surgery. This may be the current case with you, but caution is necessary to prevent worsening of the symptoms.

In fact, grades 1 and 2 CC do not require surgery, and can be fixed with breast massaging and singulair.

Massaging will keep the naturally occurring capsule stretched hindering it from contracting. However, this should not be done excessively as you may further aggravate the breast pocket causing inflammation.

If all these treatments fail, then surgical correction is your next option. There are two methods for surgical correction: removing the capsule (capsulectomy) and releasing/tearing the capsule (capsulotomy).

Good and transparent communication with your surgeon is important. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon in an in-person follow-up. Their instructions should take precedence over everything else you read here.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD