Is inframammary incision bleeding 12 days post breast augmentation normal? (Photo)

My doctor removed the strips covering my incisions the day after surgery, at my post op appointment, and there has been nothing covering my incisions since. My incisions have bled very little since surgery, but today my left breast started bleeding quite a bit. Is this normal? And do my incisions look ok? I'm a little nervous something is wrong.

Is inframammary incision bleeding 12 days post breast augmentation norma

Thank you for your question.   You need to have an examination to evaluate if there is a problem.  Swelling, bruising, and bleeding from the incision is a concern for a hematoma.  Please see your surgeon for an examination today. 

See your surgeon

It is impossible to say exactly what's going on from a photos, but the fact that there has been a change in your recovery is something that needs to be assessed in person. So, schedule an appointment with your surgeon as soon as you can. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Inframammary bleeding 12 days post op

Thank you for the question.It would be difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination.Visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation.Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation incision

It is difficult to tell from your photo if you have  a hematoma or not. You need to speak with your surgeon and get evaluated.  Good luck.

Inframammary incisions

You should get in touch with your surgeon for a quick check of the wound. You may have a small blood collection in your breast that may or may not need drainage, but this should be evaluated by your doctor.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Not normal

The change is concerning and not normal. Without seeing the remainder of your breast, I am worried about a hematoma, pending exposure or infection. Regardless you need an in person evaluation ASAP. Best of luck. 

Is inframammary incision bleeding 12 days post breast augmentation normal?

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. No, what you are experiencing is not  "normal". I suggest that you let your plastic surgeon know of the situation and keep the area clean/covered with sterile dressings until you are seen. Best wishes.

Is bleeding from my incision normal 12 days post BA?

The bleeding your photograph shows does not appear normal.  You should contact your surgeon and be seen as soon as possible.  You may need to have the incision opened to remove the blood (hematoma) that appears present and to make sure you are not developing a wound infection.  

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Incision bleeding

Thanks for your post. No, this is not normal. This is something you need to alert your surgeon about. It may be a sign of bleeding around the implant. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon