Will I be able to breast feed after getting above the muscle Breast implants?

I'm 23 years old with no children. I'm getting my breast augmentation on December 1st of this year, but have yet decided if I want to go above the muscle or under. The doctor recommended me to go above because he said I have enough breast tissue and the implant won't show. He also said I will still be able to breast feed. I would like to have kids in a couple of years and be able to breast feed. Will this affect me breast feeding in any way or be harmful to my child if I go above the muscle?

Breast feeding children after an augmentation

This is a concern for a lot of women that I see at my practice. No one can guarantee that someone will be able to breast feed after an augmentation. However many women do go on to successfully breast feed their children with no issues.

OVER OR UNDER IMPLANTS

Breast implants do not interfere with breast feeding regardless of whether they’re over or under the muscle. However, the choice of incision may. If you hope to breastfeed in the future, you may want to consider not having the peri-areolar incision.  There are several advantages and disadvantages to over vs under the muscle.  Under the muscle has the advantage of lower capsular contracture rates, less risk of rippling, and better visualization with future mammograms.  Most patients say that under the muscle also has a more natural look and feel.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   

Breast augmentation and breast feeding

Thank you for your question. Breast augmentation is often performed in women before having children. Breast implants do not have any affect on pregnancy and if done by a skilled plastic surgeon to not cause changes to breast feeding capabilities. Breast augmentation is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results in a variety of breasts types. Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure. Don’t settle for less!

There are many advantages to placing the breast implants beneath the chest muscle including better coverage, less visibility of implant, and less risk of capsular contracture or hardening.  I do not believe it makes a difference in terms of breast-feeding whether the implant is under or over the muscle.  Understand that patients with the breast implants have a slight increase in the risk that they will need to supplement breast-feeding with formula but it is a small risk.

No impact on breast feeding

Breast implants do not interfere with breast feeding regardless of whether they’re over or under the muscle. However, the choice of incision may. If you hope to breastfeed in the future, you may want to consider not having the peri-areolar incision. 

Breast augmentation and breast-feeding

The placement of sub-glandular or sub-muscular implants will not impact the ability to breast feed post op. Patient who were able to breast feed before will be able to breast feed after. Additionally, there is no serious risk of silicone contamination of the milk or feeding neonate.

One word of caution, breast feeding and the physiologic changes associated with the process (engorgement etc.) can impact/compromise your ultimate aesthetic result. Patients should be ware of the risks and accepting of either the consequences or the possibility of the necessary revisionary surgical interventions.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Donovan Rosas, MD
Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Will I be able to breast feed after getting above the muscle Breast implants

Having breast implants placed either on top or behind the muscle should have no effect on your ability to breast feed in the future. Make sure to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Implants and breast feeding

I prefer in most cases to place implants under the  muscle.   Either position is ok, and most patients can go on to breast feed.

Subglandular

There will likely not be any repercussions with regards to breastfeeding when placing the implants in a subglandular plane.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Thank you for the question. Whether breast implants are placed above or below the pectorals major muscle, most patients are able to breast-feed successfully.  Of course, there are women who do not undergo breast augmentation surgery and are unable to breast-feed.

There are pros and cons to the placement of breast implants in the “sub muscular” position versus the "sub glandular position”.    I will try to outline some of the differences here;  you may find the attached link helpful as well.

I think it is in the best interests of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery to have implants placed in the “dual plane” or sub muscular position.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes). The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than breast implants in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position. 

On the other hand,  sub glandular breast implant positioning does not have the potential downside of “animation deformity” ( movement/ distortion of the breast implants  seen with flexion of the  pectoralis major muscle)  that can be seen with breast implants placed in these sub muscular position.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.