Is this misplaced or migrated juvederm or underlying facial muscles? (Photos)

Hi. I've been getting juvederm in my under eyes and cheeks are for quite some time. Last year I noticed when I would smile I would get bulges under my eyes/in my upper cheeks (same area both sides). My injector said it was underlying muscles that show through when I smile. I got a second opinion and was told it was misplaced juvederm. I also had one round of hylaurondase with no effect that I can see. Any input on what I'm dealing with and how to improve its appearance?

Doctor Answers 6

Juvederm in cheeks almost always leads to problem

I see this often. It is not the place to put Juvederm. It is often hard to eradicate. Multiple treatments with hyaluronidase is common. This is not your muscle.

Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Is this misplaced or migrated juvederm or underlying facial muscles?

Then you for your question. Juvederm is not a good choice for under the eye or cheeks. It can often cause swelling in these areas. I recommend you see your treating physician and have this dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

Is this misplaced or migrated JVD or underlying facial muscles?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Your appearance is most consistent with misplaced JVD, either filler or soft tissue swelling.  I would advise having any residual filler material dissolved with hyaluronidase and then have a thinner filler placed, such as Restylane or Volbella.  Hope this helps. 

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

Under eyes

Edmonton6806, not a fan of fillers in this area. Get it dissolved and see a surgical specialist with decades of experience in doing "only faces". See the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 48 reviews


Thank you for your question. Juvederm is not the best filler choice to be injected under the eyes or the cheeks. Under the eye area it can often cause swelling. I would recommend you return to your injector or another physician to have the another round of hyaluronidase to dissolve the filler. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist
4.3 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Juvederm Bulges--Reverse if Necessary, Microneedling/prp, lasers for under eye

Yes fillers in the upper cheeks can cause swelling and/or bulges that goes to the under eye. You can try having it reversed again and try a different technique next time. For under the eye, I recommend lasers, microneedling/PRP in addition to fillers. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.