Vertigo hernia operation after 2 intestinal surgeries in the past 12 months

i have had 2 intestinal surgeries in the last year, i am about to get a vertigo hernia surgery in a week or so. I am 100 pounds over weight due to anti depressant's, they are putting a mesh in me as part of the procedure, my question is.....if i lose the 100 pounds after surgery, will this mesh still be ok or will they have to remove it for a smaller one ?? thanks Wayne

Ventral hernia?

No.  The mesh will yours forever.  There is no need to replace the mesh unless another hernia occurs.  The weight loss in that case will actually help you with the ventral hernia repair.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Mesh hernia repair

Thank you for your question.  You should not have a problem with your mesh just from weight loss.  Although, your abdominal wall may be loose following a 100 lb weight loss.  

Mesh

Hello and thank your for your question. The answer will depend on the type of mesh used and the size of the hernia. Generally once a mesh is in place you will not need to have it modified as long as it is controlling your hernia. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician