When should I consider skin removal and possibly a "mommy makeover"?

I have had the gastric bypass surgery in Sept 2014. I was previously 297 lbs and now am 221 lbs, I know I am not at a stage for surgery but I am wondering when I might be. Is there a certain weight loss or time frame?

After weight has stabilized from gastric surgery a mommy makeover can be undertaken.

Patients who are actively losing weight after gastric bypass are not physiologically stable to undergo a significant operation like a mommy makeover. Once the way to stabilize for about six months the operations can be undertaken safely.

Planning surgery after major weight loss

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

• I am glad you are losing weight on the gastric bypass.
  • Surgery to remove the excess skin is ideally done when you have reached your goal weight and have stabilized for 6 months.
  • You have lost 76 pounds - excellent!
  • Focus for now on healthy eating, lots of exercise and reaching the best possible weight.
  • Once you are at your goal, you can start looking for the right plastic surgeon to help you plan the surgical repair so you can enjoy your new weight and have the right shape to go with it!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Surgery after weight loss

Congratulations on your weight loss!  The ideal time to proceed with surgery is when you are to your goal weight, and have remained stable at that weight for about 4-6 months.  In the meantime, continue to exercise and strengthen your muscles which will help your recovery after surgery.  Best wishes!

Camille Cash, MD

Stable after weight loss

A gastric bypass will help you lose weight over the entire year.A active lifestyle with walking and some strength training to preserve muscle is very helpful in my patients.An ideal weight will leave mostly skin to remove and will yield  the best results.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Surgery after gastric bypass

Great job, you are on your way! You need to lose as much weight as possible before undergoing any form of plastic surgery to obtain the best result. Ideally, you need to get as close to your target weight as possible, and then "plateau" or remain there for 3-6 months prior to Tummytuck or Breast lift. Consult a board certified plastic surgeon, and good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask  patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.
As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Having said the above, occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

That's a very good question. I prefer my patients be stable in their weight for at least 6 months, and a year is better. In my experience, most patients starting in that weight range loose at least 100# or more in the first year after their bariatric surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD