Scared please help!! Bacteria infection. What is going on?

I got my implants Dec. 2/15 and it's been a nightmare. Got seromas in both sides at 3 weeks post op. Had drains in. They were removed 2 weeks later because the fluid was next to nothing. My swabs came back pos. For bacteria. Contaminated water bacteria. I also have chlamydia and I'm taking doxycycline. They are healing perfect my surgeon said. Now I have to see an infectious disease specialist. I feel tired all the time. What is going on?

Implant infection

I'm sorry to hear about your healing problems. Infection with cosmetic breast implant surgery is very uncommon. However, infections w/ odd bacteria, particularly those that live in fresh water, can be very elusive and hard to detect/treat. I would definitely see the I.D. specialist for advice here. Perhaps the right antibiotic can help you feel better with out the need to remove your implants? Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant infection

So sorry to hear about a breast infection from an augmentation. While it is rare, it sounds like your plastic surgeon is taking all of the proper precautions in treating you effectively. Should the bacteria not able to be treated appropriately with antibiotics, then you may have to have the implants removed for some time and then have them replaced secondarily. I like the idea of an infectious disease consultant as well. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Seroma and infection after breast implants

• Chronic fatigue is a sign of continuing infection.
  • I do not want to be discouraging but I suspect that your implants will need to be removed to clear the infection and let you heal - but the infectious disease specialist may have other ideas.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Post op infection

Battling a post op infection after breast augmentation is a scary and frustrating experience.  It sounds like you are doing all of the right things.  Now you simply have to wait and see if the antibiotics can clear the infection.  If not, the implants may have to be temporarily removed to allow your body to fully heal before new ones can be replaced.  Best of luck. 

Post BA infection

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience. Continue to follow up closely with your Plastic Surgeon and infectious disease specialist. They will hopefully be able to determine whether your implants present an ongoing problem.

All the best

Don't Panic

Hi Ashley7788,

Don't panic just yet. Were your implants placed through the nipple? if they were,  there is a good chance that the bacteria came from the breast itself. Going though the areola requires cutting through breast ducts which sometimes harbor bacteria. With the seroma, these bacteria can proliferate. If your doctor is telling you that you are healing "just fine" that means that you do not have an active infection that visible through redness on the breast. Please follow up with the infectious disease doctor. You will likely require long term antibiotics because even though you may not have an active infection, any bacteria on the implant can result in an intense inflammatory prcess which could lead to a capsular contracture in the future. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor.

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble after surgery. Hopefully the infectious disease doctor can help to sort this out. Unfortunately, many times in situations such as these, once the implants get contaminated, it can be very hard if not impossible to clear that infection even with strong antibiotics. The implant serves as a foreign body and a safe harbor for bacteria. Often what is needed is removal of the implant until the infection clears and then re-consider replacing the implants many months in the future.

Best of luck to you!

Bacterial infection

I'm sorry to hear about your problem.  If the seroma fluid showed a bacterial infection, more often than not, the implant becomes infected. This means the bacteria form what's called a biofilm on the implant surface which acts like a shield that can prevent antibiotics from penetrating and killing the bacteria.  This can cause a smoldering infection that can flare up at times and may not go away with antibiotics alone.  Removing the implants becomes necessary in these cases, allowing the infection to be more easily cleared with the antibiotics.  New implants can be safely replaced after the infection resolves.  You and your doctors should make these decisions carefully together. Good luck.

Gregory Pastrick, MD
Kingsport Plastic Surgeon

Infection after surgery

You could be suffering from a continued low grade infection. I would rely on your infectious disease doc to help you sort this out.