Post mastectomy expander exchange with mastopexy of other breast. Expected recovery time? (Photo)

I am 56 years old and had unilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction with expanders. I am now scheduled for expander exchange with silicone implants and at the same time mastopexy of the other breast. What is the expected recovery and return to work. I am on my feet all day with little lifting.

Recovery time

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question. For this surgery the typical recovery time is 2 weeks with activity restrictions during that time period. My nurse always tells patients to "play it safe" and plan for 3 weeks off with a return at 2 weeks possible. Be sure to check with your surgeon with regard to their recommended time frame and any restrictions you may have when returning to work.  

Second stage reconstruction

Congratulations on your progress! The second stage procedure is usually much easier to recover from w/ less pain. The mastopexy side will be sore, but manageable. I would suggest about 2 weeks off from work. You might be able to get back sooner, and your surgeon can help determine that. But, it's probably better to err on the side of a longer recovery so you don't push yourself back to early. Best wishes.