How long is the recovery time for a Mommy Makeover? Will I ruin the results of my surgery if I continue to workout? (photo)

I used to be 40% bf, 42-42-42 and I am now 34-27-37 and 25% body fat. I weigh in at 143lbs and I'm 5'4". I'm aiming for 20% body fat. I'm hoping to be back at work within 10-12 days. My job isn't terribly active. I can sit pretty much all day and there isn't a lot of lifting involved. I had one emergency -section and one planned. For both sections, I was up and about in less than 24hrs. I never took pain meds, just extra strength Tylenol for a couple days.

Recovery time

You look like a great candidate for surgery.  Typically, I tell MM patients that full recovery is about 4-6 weeks.  Most patients can return to non-physical type work within 2 weeks.  I do ask my patients not to do any exercise for 2 weeks after surgery to ensure that they heal without complication.  After 2 weeks, patients can do light cardio (walking or eliptical)  activities and then full cardio (running, treadmill) after one month and full core after 6 weeks.  Judging from your experience with C-section recovery you should do well, but every surgery is different and you absolutely have to follow your surgeons recommendations for returning to activity and exercise.  Best of luck to you.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

How long is the recovery time for a Mommy Makeover? Will I ruin the results of my surgery if I continue to workout?

I think that a tummy tuck with breast augmentation would be a nice change for you. Find an expert in all of these procedures who has great before and after pictures and great reviews.

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your questions and congratulations on your body transformation.  First, depending on the procedures you ultimately undergo, the recovery time on average ranges between 2 to 4 weeks.  Your surgeon will gradually allow you to increase you activity levels and ability to lift as your recovery progresses.  I would plan to avoid any strenuous activity or heavy lifting (no more than 10 lbs) for at least 3 to 4 weeks (approx 6 weeks with a tummy tuck).  Hope this helps!

It varies from patient to patient...

Thanks for your question and your photos.

First of all, congrats on your weight loss. Wish all of my patients would have that determination and arrive at a much healthier weight. 

You seem to be a very good candidate for  a Mommy Makeover. 

Now, regarding how soon you can go back to working out: this varies from patient to patient and depends a lot on how fast they recover and how much was done in the surgery. What I can tell you is that, if you go through with giving yourself this well deserved reward of enhancing your body, take the necessary time to recover  and respect your surgeon's post-op recommendations. 

I've had patients that I release them going back to workout (mildly) after 3-4 weeks, and others as much as 8-10 weeks. 

Hope this answers your question. If not, feel free to contact me.

Take good care, 

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernandez Goico, MD

Recovery for Mommy Makeover

Congratulations for the determination of losing weight!!!!
Based on your photos, my opinion is that the most important procedure will be  Tummy Tuck  to eliminate the saggy skin and the muscle repair in order to create a feminine,  tapered and small waist should be the main focus of the whole procedure, because TT, will really make a extreme difference on your body.
Breast augmentation will be the completion of your beautiful transformation. 
Recovery for my patients, because I am kind of aggressive on the muscle repair and skin resection, in combination with breast augmentation, will take about 3-4 weeks.
Based even on my own experience, your body needs the perfect time (and no rush it) to recover, and there is no comparison with C sections. Definitely personal strength,  tolerance to pain, but mainly good attitude will shorten your recovery period of time.
Be encouraged! !!!
You will be loving your results.
Dr. Cardenas

Thank you for your pictures, You are a good candidate for Breast Augmentation and Tummy tuck with liposuction.

The recovery time for both should be about a week after your drains are removed you  are able to return to your normal duties with weight limitation.

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

I think it is best to prepare for a “recovery”  of 4-6 weeks after tummy tuck surgery. Descriptions of recovery times shorter than this, in my opinion, is over-promising. Return to exercise will be very gradual;  it will be important to listen to your plastic surgeon and to your “body”. The  timing to return to specific exercises varies greatly from one patient to another and will depend on how you are progressing and whether or not you experience any complications.

I do have another word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.
It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation  (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. 
Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end results!

Recovery from Mummy Makeover

Thanks for the question. You should be extremely proud of your achievements and weight loss. If you are considering a mummy makeover (breast augmentation and tummy tuck) your 10-12 day time frame to return to work is suitable. Everyones recovery time varies but for a predominantly low impact work environment 10-12 days is reasonable. Ideally, you could arrange 3 weeks off work and then if you feel well return after 2. That way you will not feel pressured if you do not feel ready. The main factors to consider in your return to full activity are different for the breast augmentation and tummy tuck. Ideally, with a breast augmentation (if the implant is placed submuscular) you want to avoid over activity until the implant has settled in place. Early activity can potentially displace an implant and therefore I recommend four weeks prior to returning to exercise that utilise the pectoral muscles. The tummy tuck takes longer to return to activity as you are waiting for the abdominal wall muscles and fascia to heal together. In truth this can take many months to return to pre-oparitve strength but 6 weeks is a reasonable time frame to aim for return to full activities. The concern is that if you push too hard too early you could disrupt the sutures and loosen the abdominal wall. Walking and gentle activity is fine prior to this. You should aim to be at your goal weight at the time of surgery to assist in giving you the best results. It is a big investment on your behalf to have a mummy makeover so you should give your body time to recover and the results can be truly life changing.

Thank you for your photos- they make evaluation much easier. You are a good candidate for a breast augmentation -submuscular- peri-areolar incision. You're also a candidate for a straight forward Tummy Tuck. You should get good results- in the right hands. I usually minimize working out at 3 weeks, and then unrestricted at 5 wks. Recovery period in your case should be one week
Seek only an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Working out

Its always best not to plan exact times. Presuming you have no risk factors it looks like you are a good candidate. Every surgeon has different regimes postop and its best to go with your PS.
I tend to advise support bra and compression abdo garnent for 6 weeks. I would avoid strenuous exercise for 2 weeks and at that point you can usually start gentle exercise building up between 2-4 weeks so that by 4-6 weeks you are able to do everything you wish. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon