I had my Monalisa Touch treatment 6 days ago. I still have bad burning. How to decrease the burning?

I have been applying only aquaphor cream after the procedure. I have been suffering from vaginal atrophy for the last 6 years.

Best cream for external comfort after MonaLisa or FemiLift

The outside of the vaginal opening and vulva is most sensitive after these treatments. The inside is rarely uncomfortable so I assume you're talking about the outer areas. These would be best handled with Silvadene ointment which is what I normally use for extensive vulvar laser ablations.

Jersey City OB/GYN

How to decrease vaginal burning after MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser treatments

Some patients experience burning in the internal vaginal area and externally for up to 2-3 weeks after the laser treatments.  Besides the Aquafor, you can try some low dose vaginal steroid ointments to reduce inflammation.  I would also make sure that your urine is more on the acidic side as alkaline urine will irritate the vaginal opening more.  You can try taking vitamin C 500mg twice a day.  If you don't improve you should go back to your doctor and have a check up and possible vaginal cultures done to make sure you don't have an infection.

Karny Jacoby, MD
Seattle Urologist

Symptoms Improve with time if the vaginal opening is treated.

Patients with vulvovaginal atrophy may require internal vaginal treatment as well as external treatment during the short 5 minute procedure. It is important to be evaluated well prior to the treatment. If your atrophy and symptoms were on the external region/ vaginal opening your doctor probably treated both areas. This is best treated with generous application of aquaphor 2-3 times a day. These symptoms should resolve as the skin healths, typically in 14-21 days.

John Hettiarachchi, DO, FACS, FPMRS
Charlotte Urologist

Burning skin

It sounds like your doctor has performed the procedure to include the posterior opening skin (inside doesn't burn) and this is a good idea. SO this is an expected result. Small tiny laser dots have penetrated the SKIN and NERVES and you can cover with any ointment (vaseline (organic from dinosaurs!), A+D ointment, Destin etc.) This will soon be over and was your doctor's best attempt at helping you. Also, be aware that is possible to reactivate a genital herpes infection if this is a problem of yours.

Lawrence Eisenhauer, MD
Encinitas OB/GYN