Hole leaking and swelling after surgery? (Photo)

I had a tummy tuck 10 months ago. Last month I went back and had a scar corrected from a really big hole that opened up. This time I ended up with a much smaller hole. This time my hole is leaking so much more. I push the fluid out in the evening and morning but I'm swelling up and it's getting really painful. I work in a camp and can't see a doctor very easily. Is this something I should get checked sooner than later?

Hole with fluid

Thank you for your question.   I recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon for evaluation. 

Chronic Seroma

Thank you for your question and photo. It sounds as though this has healed into a permanent tunnel/seroma which will have to be revised surgically. I recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon in person for assessment.

All the best

Chronic Seroma Cavity

Judging from your description and your photo, you have a chronic seroma which has been present since immediately after surgery. Unfortunately, you will need a surgical procedure to remove the lining of the cavity which is producing this fluid. It is not an emergency. However, your risk of a recurrent seroma is high if your surgeon choses to use a drain again, but instead should obliterate that cavity with sutures. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Hole leaking and swelling after surgery?

At 10 months out from your surgery, if you are still draining fluid you might have a persistent seroma (fluid accumulation under the skin).  This can happen when the cavity around the seroma becomes thick and cannot resolve on it's own.  You may require further surgery to remove the cavity and place a drain or sutures to help close down the cavity.  While there could be other causes, this would probably be the most common.  If you can't see your doctor easily, perhaps you could discuss this over the phone and make a plan so that when you can visit again, this can be taken care of definitively.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon