I was just wondering is it okay if I smoke 2 weeks after I had a Breast reduction operation?

If you smoke after a BR

The risks and effects of smoking prior to and during recovery after plastic surgery are significant. Smoking — specifically nicotine and carbon monoxide — impedes the body’s ability to deliver oxygen to tissues. As a result, the healing process after plastic surgery is negatively affected. Healing after plastic surgery has a significant effect on the quality of your result. See the below link for more information.

Smoking 2 wks after a breast reduction

I tell my patients who feel that it will be very hard to quit smoking that if they can give me 2 wks before and 2 wks after I will do their surgery. When those patients resume smoking 2 wks after surgery I see that small scabs don't heal, the bruising doesn't clear out of their skin as fast and their scars look worse. If you want the best result possible, I would hold off.

Karen Quigley, MD

Thank you for your question. I cannot believe that you honestly think some surgeon on here is going to tell you to go ahead and smoke after surgery. The answer, without a doubt, is no. Smoking causes blood vessel constriction which decreases the blood flow to the tissues, which causes healing problems and skin necrosis. Patients who smoke around the time of surgery can double their risk of complications. I require all of my patients to be off of all forms of nicotine for at least 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after surgery, if not longer.