How many grafts would I need to lower my Hairline? (Photos)

How Many Grafts Would I Need to lower my Hairline?

How many grafts

For a females hairline like yours, if your hair was fine, it would take about 1800-2000 grafts, if it were of a medium weight, about 1500 grafts might be enough,  Look at some of the examples below and the first of them is a mirror image of you

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hairline lowering by grafting

Hairline lowering by grafting is a nice way to shorten the forehead area and provide for natural-appearing results.  Your case does pose a bit of a challenge from the perspective of the creation of density.  Given the color contrast of your dark hair and light scalp, you may desire a secondary procedure at around 10-12 months to help create further density to the central portion.  Initially you would benefit from around 1600 to as many as 1800 grafts from where you have drawn in your desired hairline.     

Hairline Restoration

Prior to thinking about a hair transplant, you should consult with a physician to make sure you do not have a scarring alopecia such as frontal fibrosing alopecia.  This affects woman more then men and can also cause your eyebrows to lose hair.  Once you have established that you don't have any medical conditions affecting your hair, then you can consider a hair transplant.

From the photos presented, I would transplant at least 2500 grafts or more to obtain a natural appearing hairline.  The line you drew also needs adjustment to make it a more natural frontal hairline. You may need more then one transplant to obtain your goals for density.

Steven Gabel, MD, FACS
Portland Hair Restoration Surgeon

Quite a few!

it's difficult to tell exactly without an in person exam, but it looks like you may need about 1200 grafts to densely cover that area. FUE will  allow you to accomplish this without a big scar on the back of your scalp. Assuming that your hairline is not actually receding, it should give you a good, long-term result. However, if you continue to lose hair behind your hairline, it may look a little silly in a few years and need to be repeated. Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Lowering your hairline

The number of grafts vary from physician to physician.  However, because we use single follicles in the hairline to ensure it looks natural the number of grafts may seem extreme.  However, since the grafts are smaller you can also put them closer together. Based on the photos, I'd recommend 1200- 1500 grafts.

Lowering the hairline -- hair transplant or hairline advancement?

you have a choice of hair transplants or hairline advancement using the Irregular Trichophytic Incision  which we developed many years ago. It will take easily 3000 or more grafts to give you adequate density for the advancement you have shown.  Hairline advancement is much cheaper, can be done in one session, and will have immediate results the next day instead of waiting a year for adequate growth.  We do both procedures so there's no surgeon bias in my answer. We have found that patients who have adequate flexibility of the scalp are much happier with hairline advancement then with transplants.

How Many Grafts to Lower My Hairline

I agree with the estimates of the number of grafts necessary to lower your hairline provided by other surgeons but I suggest you also consider the irregular Trichophytic Harline Incision Technique that we described many years ago to lower the hairtine with hair of uniform density in one procedure with immediate results.

It is best to see a doctor for consultation for cosmetic procedures such as a hair transplant surgery.

It is best to see a doctor for consultation for cosmetic procedures such as a hair transplant surgery.  You would need an examination and clear understanding of realistic expectations of a hair transplant surgery.  Photos are a good start but it is not enough for a recommendation.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss

your best option is to have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon who can evaluate your scalp and hair, pattern of loss, and discuss nonsurgical as well as surgical options, and set reasonable expectations.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician